Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74HC595 query

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowana

I'm trying to construct a circuit that controls 7 segement LEDs using a 74HC595.

I constructed the circuit, but none of the LEDs turned on.

I then built the minimum circuit using a new 74HC595, leaving the outputs floating.

However, the outputs stay at 0v - whatever the inputs do.

As shown in the below image, Vcc = 5v, pin 10 (reset) = 5v.

Output enable is usually 0v, spiking high whenever the data changes.

The code being run is known to work, so it can only be a hardware error. All the signals shown in the attached image were measured directly on the chip's legs - so what could be wrong? I can only assume the 74HC595 is faulty - but I have tried replacing it with a new one twice, with no improvement. There is a tiny chance it was a bad batch of chips I ordered, but it seems very unlikely.

Andrew

Attachments

• 5s capture.png
    5s capture.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Zoomed out.png
    Zoomed out.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Zoomed in.png
    Zoomed in.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Post the circuit diagram.

Are all the unused inputs tied to ground or V+? Any floating inputs can cause problems with CMOS circuits.

Last edited:
The program (not written by me) works on the writers hardware. From my logic analyser, I can see the data that should be written into the 595 - eg in the third attachment of my post, it should:
Turn off the outputs
Shift in the data: 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1
Pulse the latch low, transfering the above data to the latches
Turn the outputs back on

I can't see any reason why it isn't doing that - the correct voltages are all there at the correct time!

Another oddity.

When the system is turned on, OE is high, so the outputs are in high impedance state. This shows up as high in my logic analyser - it has a very weak pullup.

When OE first goes low, the outputs all change to 0v. They then stay like this, even when OE goes high again. This is not what the datasheet says to expect - it should be that when OE goes high, all outputs go high impedance. Mine don't seem to...

Andrew

Attachments

• Z state.png
    Z state.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 136
  • No Z.png
    No Z.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 118
Another oddity!

When the supply voltage is turned right down (from 5v to 3.9v, the third digit comes on (flickering and displaying nonsense). As the supply is lowered, at 3.8v, the sencond digit comes on (also flickering and displaying nonsense).

I think this must be due to the 74HC595 shutting down (or at least operating unreliably) at a low voltage - although I would have expected it to go on working to 2v, rather than the 4v is starts outputting data at...

Andrew

I've got a 100nF cap across the regulator, and another 100nF cap across the 595.

The schematic is linked to in post 5.

Andrew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back