Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74HC165 8 bit piso shift register

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, i mean connecting the 193 outputs directly to the 165 inputs. No hardwiring

you mean as they are shown in your first diagram, OK.

I would be interested in what you are doing with this project.???

Last edited:
Sorry, I dont understand why i need a latch and 8 count detector circuit? is it to drive the clock because i was thinking of using a astable pulsing at very high freq for the clock.

thanks

Sorry, I dont understand why i need a latch and 8 count detector circuit? is it to drive the clock because i was thinking of using a astable pulsing at very high freq for the clock.

thanks

if you keep the S/R clock running all the time, the '5's data will not be synchronised.!

Tell what you doing with the project, I may be able to suggest solutions.

Basically i want to detect 5 spikes from a pulse generator, hence 5 counts and when the counter counters upto 5, sends 5 to the shift reg. the shift reg will transmit the 5 serially, than after some more circuit transmits the signal wirelessly. upon retreiving the 5, a SIPO shift register will convert the 5 back to parallel to display on a display.

Basically i want to detect 5 spikes from a pulse generator, hence 5 counts and when the counter counters upto 5, sends 5 to the shift reg. the shift reg will transmit the 5 serially, than after some more circuit transmits the signal wirelessly. upon retreiving the 5, a SIPO shift register will convert the 5 back to parallel to display on a display.

The problem will be once the 8 bits containing the '5' data are shifted out, the S/R will continue to shift out LOW bits until the next '5' is PLOAD.
How will your remote SIPO keep in sync, it will keep receiving low bits in between the '5's group.

if i was using a regular clock at both ends than the remote sipo will be in sync

Keeping master and slave clocks in sync is close to impossible with regular components.

An idea would be to connect the 3 used top bits high, so that 11100101 is transmitted, the three 1's could easily act a sync pulse.
In fact its always a '5' send a string of 111111111 as meaning a 5 count with just 0000000's in between, detect the 1's at the remote.?

Last edited:
i'm a bit confuse on this one...how would I the three 1's as a sync pulse?

You would use a monostable and gates at the remote end.
Each '1' would trigger the mono, which would have an ON period of just over the period of '1' bit.
If a 2nd '1' was received while the mono was timing, a gate would be used for the incoming '1's and the mono output.
When the mono and and the next '1' are High, thats the sync pulse.

Why not use RS232/UART protocols to transmit/receive the data string or some other Standard data transmission method.???

in your previous post you mentioned a 8 count detection circuit, should I use the 193 again and jam the inputs to output 8?

in your previous post you mentioned a 8 count detection circuit, should I use the 193 again and jam the inputs to output 8?

If all need to do is tell the remote that 5 counts have taken place, that would be the easiest way, just hard wire all 8 bits of the 165 high

How would I tell the remote that 5 counts have taken place if all the 8 pins are HIGH?
IF its always a '5' then all you need is a sync type pulse at the remote to know its a '5', you dont have to transmit a '5'.

And to create the sync type pulse, I'll need a monostable and gates at the remote end

The transmitter unit creates the pulse, the receiver uses a mono to detect the all 1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back