Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7 Segment Display - Anode vs Cathode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I bought the following 7 segment display:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/03/LTC-4627JR.pdf

The common pin is common anode. As the display counts, the lit segments should be off and the off segments should be on. In other words, I see a "-" for the number "0". Should I have bought a common cathode display or a universal display? Short of changing the code for each number, is there a way to make this work?

I am using PIC16F690 with 100 ohm resistors from PORTC to the appropriate segment pin on the display. Each common anode digit pin is connected to a transistor (BC184L). The transistor has to be connected to the positive bar to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. It appears your code was for a common cathode display.

The BC184L is an NPN transistor. You should use a PNP one instead for the common pins.

If you still have the source code and a means to change it, do so.

I would have literally taken you less time to make the changes in the code (flipping the bits in the digit look-up tables) than it what it likely took for you to compose that post.

Yes. It appears your code was for a common cathode display.

The BC184L is an NPN transistor. You should use a PNP one instead for the common pins.

If you still have the source code and a means to change it, do so.

I would have literally taken you less time to make the changes in the code (flipping the bits in the digit look-up tables) than it what it likely took for you to compose that post.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. One more question. Should a PNP transistor be used for an anode common pin and an NPN transistor be used for a cathode common pin?

Yes, in an application were the transistor is being used as a switch, you should use an NPN for low-side switching (common cathode) or a PNP for high side switching (common anode).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back