Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6KVA diesel chinese generator bought from EBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a better choice of words here such as: There is 0 resistance in the closed state, open in the open state within the limits of my ohmmeter OR The float seems to act as a switch without excessive contact resistance.

e.g. I can't measure down to 0.001 ohms, but it looks like a "good switch".

"No resistance" can be interpreted as a superconductor where no means zero or "no resistance" can be interpreted as an OPEN.
Your OPEN would actually have insulation resistance involved with some switches. ZERO should not be used interchangeability with no.
Hmm nothing simple about that hey? "Thars zero/no gold in them thar hills Joe, Mah multimeter tells me so"

Last edited:
View attachment 82472 Picture of the pump showing the shutoff solenoid on top of the pump. Is the fuel in the filter nice & clean? Diesel does get a black algie grow in it & block filters causing running problems like you described.
Exact same machine but fuel is not the problem . Well versed on that The fuel distributor pump is below the fuel cutoff switch (which has a coil resistance btw). The stepper motor controls the lever on the side which makes the fuel distributor pump more or less fuel.
Thanks for the input however
While I typed this a load more pics came up
Mine starts ,revs to about 3000rpm, display lights up and then it dies in the bum. Fuel OK Oil OK disconnecting either or both wires does not change behaviour. Fuel shutoff is operating fine So still looking

I see your fuel clips are rusting too - I went round mine with phosphoric acid . Some of what they use is just rubbish , guess they will get better at making things as the years progress.

On Power out , yes my original problem was I bought it to run a small 100amp welder on the boat and it cannot do it! Still they are bloody cheap and safe with diesel ~$1300 and it runs the freezer OK -well when it runs.It hasn't done 3 hours yet.

EDIT Keep in mind though that the manual says full output is not given until the 15 hour run in time has elapsed . I missed this too at first

Last edited:
Yea, I come from a different world. At work I could measure the resistance of a "piece of paper" and watch it change with humidity. Zero resistance or "no resistance" is just a bad concept. There were times when 3e16 was essentially the "same number" as 6E16 even though it's literally twice as big.

I took a few photos of this in case someone comes in either recognising this fault or looking to fix faults further down the track
Here are some photos a bit smaller and lesser quality that I can refer to with arrows

Image0201.jpg This shows the inspection plate removed so the movement of the fuel lever adjusting the quantity of diesel pumped can be seen. When you pull it out it is easy to not get the control lever in its correct position so check moving the stepper motor is moving the fuel slide inside

Image0207.jpg This is the ridiculously small battery supplied and spoken about here but there is not much room to put a bigger one. Note it is marked 6-MFQ-17 and next to that 12V17AH , 10 HR . Its a 12 Volt battery and I suspect a 10AH rating -They just don't have any understanding of our letters and meanings. They just copy them.
I'm toying with puting in a coupe or three 5AH 5s LiPo's as I think they would be more reliable over a time like 3 or 6 months . The lead acid goes flat in 2 months if left alone.

Image0205.jpg This is the fuel sensor which makes a circuit when it falls to the bottom and is N/O when there is fuel in the tank. It is therefore easy to test by checking the wires with a multimeter , you don't have to pull it out as I did.

Last edited:
Thanks both -The above is a good point as I hav'nt looked at the oil level as its brand new and was filled before running for an hour and then stopping .The stopping is a clean shutdown and its getting fuel OK up till then
First stop go check the oil level
hi april..did u get that generator going ok..

hi april..did u get that generator going..please let me know I have the same problems with mine..but mine is not going at all now..

April has not been here since January 2014 and is very unlikely to return.

JimB

Why not PM him asking to come here and replay your question?

If you notice April has a line struck through the name. This indicates they have been banned. There is no chance of them coming back to answer the thread.

Sorry Inq, no line that I can see. ??

Did not know you could not see it. Now I know. But that is the reason.

Did not know you could not see it. Now I know. But that is the reason.

A line alone? A little bit cryptic. Why not the word "banned"? In other forums is common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back