Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6÷2(1+2)=?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I was advised once to use enough parenthesis to never come to this situation. It worked well for me.

When I used a simple expression like 1+1 embedded in lots of parenthesis, the BASIC interpreter replied "Expression too complicated"

I wonder what the OP expected. Just one reply? He knows that the expression has two results depending of how you solve the implied multiplication.

Of course it can be read as having 2 results, that is the whole point.

TBH I believe there is only 1 way to solve it. I do see how it can be ambiguous though.

Here is a reply I wrote in the other forum:

I think the problem arises because people who have done lots of algebra treat it as

6÷(2(1+2)) = 1

the same way Wolfram|Alpha treats algebra.

Whereas people who are familiar with only the BODMAS method, treat it as

(6÷2)(1+2) = 9

the same way Wolfram|Alpha treats sums.

So to people who have done lots of algebra, factoring the equation first (A(B+C)=(AB+AC)) is the most natural way.

I personally have been taught that juxtaposition takes priority over other divisions/multiplications, so I use the same rule that the American Mathematical Society uses for it's submission guidelines.

Last edited:
LOT of, is maybe too much

When I used a simple expression like 1+1 embedded in lots of parenthesis, the BASIC interpreter replied "Expression too complicated"

Have you tried with just two? :confused:

This was some 35+ years ago on a timesharing DEC PDP-11/20 or 11/50 running RSTS-11 and used Basic-Plus an intermediate code interpreter.

I wrote something like:

10 A=(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((1))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
(assume the parens are matched)
and got the error
"Expression to Complicated"

I loved to push the envelope and I could crash the machine at will for all 16 or 32 users at the time.

Hey, the breaks are artifacts of VB. They are not in my input.

Last edited:
There is a new math equation on FB :D

I saw one of these that was asking what 2+2x2 equaled. Somebody actually started arguing with me, saying it was 8 :p:D

Last edited:
If you are trying to complicate things, and write in a way that can have more than one outcome, then you are writing poorly.

Math is (supposed to be) a universal language. This should be written in a left to right order, using signs; not implied multiplication.

Also, If you were using this like:

The combination to the lock is
4+6, 15*5, and 6÷2(1+2)

We know that is unclear.

Convert the division to a fraction and re-write.

Depends on what you mean? Multiplication is always done first. The x can be interpreted as multiply or it can be interpreted as x.

(1) [latex]2+2(2)= 8[/latex];

(2) [latex]2+4x[/latex]

(3) [latex]2+2x^{2}=2(1+x^{2})[/latex]

I would interpret it as the least one because standard form would have it that way.

This always seems to be a tough one for many -1^4 = 1

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean? Multiplication is always done first. The x can be interpreted as multiply or it can be interpreted as x.

Yeah, sorry--that was just how I wrote it. It is actually * (multiplication).
(The answer is 6, by the way :p ) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back