Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V USB to 12V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba1978

For my job I flash microcontrollers on a daily basis. These are located in modules that require 8V-16V to power up. Ususally I have to carry an external power supply to power up the modules and I was looking for a less of a hassel way to do this. It only requires about 500mA at 12V to power the micro up. Is there a way I can step up the 5V output on my computers USB to 12V so I don't need an external power supply? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

The forest does not allow you to see the trees ? Some love complex solutions, no doubt.

Open the case of that compfuser you want its USB converted to +12V and hook to its internal power supply yellow wire. That is +12V. Black is ground, and for sure there is spare connectors. A lenght of cable will come out any rear slot to power your programming thingy. No conversions, no external anythings, done.
Miguel

For my job I flash microcontrollers on a daily basis. These are located in modules that require 8V-16V to power up. Ususally I have to carry an external power supply to power up the modules and I was looking for a less of a hassel way to do this. It only requires about 500mA at 12V to power the micro up. Is there a way I can step up the 5V output on my computers USB to 12V so I don't need an external power supply? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

There is a way to get 12V from 5V, but no, you can't do it on a USB port because a USB port can't provde enough current. At 100% efficiency it takes 1.2A@5V to make 500mA@12V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back