Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer for a feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfen

Can someone help me with a schematic for a 555 timer to turn a feeder motor on twice a day. I was thinking of clock with two cams to flip a switch twice a day. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Twice a day means? Do you want to switch it once every 6 hours or once every 12 hours?

Yes, thats true. 555 alone can't give you such a long delay. But you can use it as 1Hz time base and divide it using "Diveide by N" counter to get required delay time. For division you can use cascaded 4017's.

555 timer

I was going to use a small clock that runs on AA batterys with a wheel that has two cams on it. When the cams hit a small switch it will activate the timer to run for 8 or 10 sec. and then shut off untill the next cam comes around say 12 hr later.

I'm assuming you need an electronic timer because your cam switch ON time is not adjustable. Here is the standard 555 monostable solution. I'm including it so you can see how to trigger it from your cam switch. I show a 9 volt supply, but you can use any voltage from 5 to 15. if you use a CMOS 555, your voltage range can be from 2 to 18, but you won't be able to drive as big a load as you can with the bipolar 555. In either case, you may have to add a driver to drive your feeder.

Attachments

• feeder_os.gif
    feeder_os.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 410
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back