Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50w led power????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arn209

Looking online I spotted some 50w LEDs with these specs

Lens Color: Water Clear

Emitted Color : White

DC Forward Voltage (VF): 28 ~ 30Vdc

DC Forward Current (IF): 1800mA

Viewing Angle: 140 Degree

Color Temperature: 5000~7500K

Intensity Luminous (Iv): 3500-4000LM

so my question is, what would I need to power this up safely? I would like to put 2 over my aquarium.

A 1.8A CONSTANT_CURRENT power supply which is capable of outputing >30V into an open circuit...

I have found the following company's products very useful:
**broken link removed**

Now, how large is your aquarium? Because 100 watts of LED candlepower would be equivalent to 400 or 500 watts of incandescents in light output. It is a lot!

I think the 50W of LED power will cook the snakes and lizards.

**broken link removed**

there's the led link. My tank is 180 gallons. 6'x2'x2. I was going to buy a fixture with 3 250w metal halide bulbs and 4 96w power compact bulbs. Now my plans would be to mount the 2 of them high enough to spread the light out 72". I'd also need to mount some blue LEDs to help provide the proper spectrum for coral growth. I was thinking 4-8 10w blue LEDs. The water will diffuse some of the light. Is this overkill? Anyone think this will work? please keep in mind, I'm electronically dumb and this will be my first build.

Also bear in mind that I have seen 3 450w metal halides over a tank before for considering the brightness factor.

OK, I wasn't aware of that. Then your proposal makes sense.
Does it? Cool!!!! I would soo love to make this come to life. Can you or anyone tell me what I need? Like I said, I'm electronically dumb. Like, "here's the website, buy this part! It will make your doo dad come to life." I come to you guys because I love my house and don't want to burn it down.

Check out BUCK-PUCKs

Can anyone give me a run down on how to build this? If mounted against a heatsink, will I need fans? If so how would I go about wireing that up? Does anyone know of any similar plans they can refer me to?

I may be wrong on this but dont the larger CPU heat sinks easily handle 50 watts or more with only the small fans on them?

I don't know? That's why I joined this forum for help on this project and help expanding my brain. My plans are to make two seperate hanging pendant lights. The main light On each will be a 50w. Surrounding that will be some blue, probably 10w, at about 4-6 of those.

They will need some decent sized heatsinks. I would stay away fromt he CPU ones because they are very dependent on the heatsink and fan being dust free to cool properly, and the fan tends to suck dust in. Besides the constant maintenance there's the chance of unclean dust getting into your tank and I know some of the corals and stuff are pretty sensitive.

I would go with a decent slab of aluminium bar, like a 4"x3/8 profile (100mm x 10mm) and the full 6 foot length of the aquarium. That will provide plenty of heatsinking but is shiny, anodised silver easy to clean and no cavities or fins etc to collect contaminants. Or maybe even hang 2 bars side by side. It's not that expensive, maybe $20 for a 6 foot length.

Of course if you are mainly using the smaller LEDs (like 1w, 3w etc) you could get away with thinner cheaper bar, they sell 2" x 3/8" and i think a 3" width too (80mm x 10mm). Check your yellow pages for "aluminum suppliers" and they will usually saw cut it for you while you wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back