Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 minute Time delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

Hiya Guy's,
Well I finally got some time to tinker with my electronics( da missus ain't home) and I got my 3 watt led setup as a night light for when I walk back to the house. This led is shining a path around 30 metres which is great but ideally I want to set up a 5 minute time delay so it switch's off automatically. My first thought was using a 555 but with that type of delay I'd need a bigger cap than is recommended. I did see a few years ago a work around for longer time delays but after searching I keep coming up with blanks. I could use a pic but thats overkill so does anyone have any reference to using long delays with the 555?

Cheers Bryan :D

bryan1 said:
Hiya Guy's,
Well I finally got some time to tinker with my electronics( da missus ain't home) and I got my 3 watt led setup as a night light for when I walk back to the house. This led is shining a path around 30 metres which is great but ideally I want to set up a 5 minute time delay so it switch's off automatically. My first thought was using a 555 but with that type of delay I'd need a bigger cap than is recommended. I did see a few years ago a work around for longer time delays but after searching I keep coming up with blanks. I could use a pic but thats overkill so does anyone have any reference to using long delays with the 555?

A PIC isn't 'overkill' it's a simple solution to the problem - an 8 pin PIC is the same size as a 555, and requires far less support components. It will also far out perform a 555, and can replace it in many circuits (but obviously not pin for pin!).

Hiya Nigel,
I suppose your right there and I do have a few 12f675's around and I am in the process of making up a pic based rpm meter so it won't be hard to write up some code and use the pic.I just thought for a simple circuit that I need, a one shot 555 would be the easiest.

Cheers Bryan

If you can find one, a ZN1034 IC will do just what you want.
It is a long delay timer, made by Ferranti, (now defunct).

It contains the circuit for an RC oscillator followed by a divider circuit. So the oscillator can run at a relatively high frequency, but the output delay can be hours or days etc.

Just had a separate thought, you could use a 555 as an oscillator follewed by a 4040 12 bit counter to give a long delay.

JimB

A CD4541 can be programmed to time seconds to HOURS.
5 Minutes, No Problem.
Probably quicke to make than programming a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back