Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4060 1hz Oscillator not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the electrical characteristics (Source ST microelectronics)

Attachments

• 4060.gif
    4060.gif
    36 KB · Views: 279
That's odd that it can source more than it can sink.
At TTL voltages.
It can source a higher current when its voltage drop is allowed to be half the supply voltage.
It can sink a small current when its voltage drop is only 0.4V.

The datasheets from Texas Instruments have graphs that show the output current at three supply voltages and with any amount of voltage drop. The current is pretty high (typically 14mA) directly into an LED when the supply is 10V.

Last edited:
At TTL voltages.
It can source a higher current when its voltage drop is allowed to be half the supply voltage.
It can sink a small current when its voltage drop is only 0.4V.

The datasheets from Texas Instruments have graphs that show the output current at three supply voltages and with any amount of voltage drop. The current is pretty high (typically 14mA) directly into an LED when the supply is 10V.

The OP runs his circuit at VDD=5V.

The OP runs his circuit at VDD=5V.
Then the typical output current directly into a red LED is 3.5mA.

I don't know why the supply voltage is so low. The IC is ordinary Cmos with a max allowed supply of 18V. A 5V regulator is not needed.

Then the typical output current directly into a red LED is 3.5mA.

That's exactly why I recommended to either use a low current (nominal 2mA) LED or drive a normal (20mA) LED via a transistor.

Anyway, even using a low current LED at Q13 of the 4060 it won't drive a 4013 properly anymore.

Connecting the LED to the output of the 4013 without any further load should make the LED flash at 1Hz.

Experience proves that CMOS-ICs get undefined output levels when connected to a current consuming element. (Their outputs become neither high nor low.)

Boncuk

Last edited:
I buffered the output through a 4013, it's still not working. I'm thinking I might just make a 555 timer until I have more time to work this out

I buffered the output through a 4013, it's still not working.

A 4013 is a dual D-Flip-Flop and not a buffer! I can source and sink the same current as the 4060.

Are a low power NPN-transistor and two resistors beyond your budget?

As far as I know you want to control a time piece using the 4060 oscillator circuit. :confused:

Not having a frequency counter the problems will increase considerably using an NE555 timer circuit. It will probably take you a month to find out the precise 1Hz cycle. Temperature dependent frequency drift will change clock frequency so the time piece will become a time estimating device. :D

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back