Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 counter reset at 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebtb

Hi can anyone tell me how to reset the 4017 decounter when it gets to ouput 8? I am using a 555 timer to control it of course.

Thanks in advance

Ok that does work and is very helpful audioguru thanks. Maybe I need something else. I am building 8 stage sequencer so what I really need it to do is when it gets to 9 it goes back to 1 instead. Connecting 8 (my fault for saying end at 8 when I meant nine) works but there is a one step delay.

Last edited:
maybe you have the wrong output connected to Reset.

4017 outputs go high, and the reset input requires a high. Remember that a 4017 starts counting at zero. When the counter is reset, the zero output goes high and stays high as long as Reset is high. After Reset goes low, the next clock edge makes the "1" output go high. So if output 8 is tied to Reset, on the 8th clock edge it will go high, reset the counter, and immediately go low. Whatever output is tied to reset makes very short pulse, much less than 1 microsecond, when it forces a reset.

ak

Agggh it does work. I didn't realise (which is really silly of me since I am a programmer) that outputs start at 0. I did connect the output of 9 to the reset pin but it wasn't working possibly because I had a ground in there by mistake. Thank you Audio Guru and AK

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back