Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 Counter output to BCD 7 segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, Im not understanding or I'm missing something here. I am using a schmidtt trigger to drive a 4017 decade counter, it's for an electronic dice. Now when I look at the truth table for the BCD since the 4017 only has one output after it cycles how would my 7 seg ever get a 3,5 or a 6 ? the BCD with only one output would only give me a 1,2,4 ? Unless I pressed the button 4 times and added them up, anyone get what I mean ? Im an electrician and I speak diffrent lingo than you guys. Then I thought I'd use two 4017's but then I'd never get 1,2,4 ? Someone help me out please. Jim

You should not have used a 4017, which has decoded outputs. Use a Binary-Coded-Decimal (BCD) decade counter instead. It has four outputs which connect directly to the BCD-to-SevenSeg Decoder-Driver.

Mike, Thanks for your reply. I have the 7 seg BCD which will decode the binary truth table, I was using the 4017 so I had ended up with a "Random" number / output. Now when the 4017 outputs say on 4 thats only going to give me a BCD output of 1, 2, 4 or 8 (I dont need an 8 anyway) because the 3, 5, and 6 require 2 yes outputs. Ya see what I'm talkin about ?

BCD to post.JPG This is what I mean.

I say again: "You should not have used a 4017"

You should be using a 4510

Last edited:
Ok, I'll have to get a few then. So the 4510 will give me random outputs 1-6 ? And connect that to the 4511 I guess thats what I have is a 4511 seg decoder. I drew this but you say not to use it so I wont, thanks again Mike. Jim

Attachments

• Post on electronics site.JPG
    Post on electronics site.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 489
No, the 4510 will give you straight counting 0-9,0-9, etc. I thought you wanted something to count sequentially, but it sounds like you want a random digit between 1 and 6, inclusive?

yea mike, the way i understand is the 555 generates so fast in frequency that the 4017 was the ic to use just for the random number. its for a dice value 1 to 6 and i have 2 7 segs side by side so if the one on the left came up say 3 and the second one was 6 then its like the person rolled a 9 (its for a game for my in laws, they play a lot of board games but always losin the dice and / or fallin on the floor, my sister in law has two pugs that eat anything and were afraid of them swallowing them because the dogs are so fast and they wont keep em in the pen) now if the 4510 generates 0 to 9 thats even better because i only need outputs up to six, so i'll use the 555's with different frequencies to the 4510's and after a cycle i'll have a number decoded on the 7 seg. i only need 1-6 no zero no seven, no eight, no nine. i guess that'll work then huh ? i think thats the only way im gonna get "random" ya know

In that case, you need to set up the counter to count 1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,1,... instead of the natural 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,1,2,3,4,...

The 4510 has preset inputs, you will preset it to 1 (0001 hardwired on inputs D,C,B,A) on the next clock edge after it reaches state 6 (0110). It will take a two-input AND gate (inputs wired to Bout and Cout, output wired to Preset) to cause the counter to go from state 6 back to state 1.

ok, i see where yer directing me now, 1-6 is all i need so the 4510 will work, i wondered if i paralelled for 3 5 and six if it would work ? in other words hook 1 to A, 2 to B 3 to split off to A and B 4 to C 5 to split off to A and C and 6 split off to B and C....... think that would work as well ?

you need NOT to display 0 and reset when its at 7, see the attached cct it will not allow a pause when all digits show 0. it may work as you required. you can use any binary counter for this.

Attachments

• BCD elec die.JPG
    BCD elec die.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 629
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back