Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40 Pin PIC's - Wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to find some solid evidence if both sets of Vdd and Vss are actually required to be connected on 40 Pin PIC's
Define "required".

What are your criteria? Reliability? I/O driving capability? Error free operation? Electromagnetic emissions? Noise immunity?

gramo said:
One factor does come to mind - but it is derived just from common sense;

Perhaps the dual power pins accommodate the possibility of all ports being driven as outputs.
I tend to think the opposite (just my opinion). I think they put pins on both sides just to make board design easier. Use whichever pins work best with your design. Gives you the option to find the easiest way in when routing. I'm probably wrong. I know lots of people disagree with me.

Of course I hook em both up anyway, just in case. :D

I'd really like to see some official notes on the matter though
YES.

Response from Microchip

My question for Microchip;
I have had a number of inquiries and am interested myself to know the full extent of the requirements for connecting both sets Vdd and Vss on any 40 Pin PIC Micro. Are there situations where they are not required? Is there extended information regarding the matter?

Practical experimenting suggests that only one set of Vdd and Vss are required.

Their response;
If device is having multiple power pins, then it will be advisable to tie the together. This
Is on of the good practice which needs to be followed in hardware application circuit design.
Refer the presentation of "power considerations" topic in the following web link:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/12/power.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back