Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-bit Serial in Parallel out shift register

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb885

Hi,

I want help creating a serial in parallel out shift register. I came up with this schematic(attached) but I think it's not going to work since I think it won't store all 4 bits and then transmit them but instead transmit a bit or two as soon as they arrive and the others during the next cycle .I've used flip flops without CE and CLR to keep things simple. It's supposed to receive 4 bits in serial and give 4 bits in parallel. I'm using two 4Mhz clocks, one for a PISO shift register and another one for this shift register(they are on two different platforms) I would appreciate if you could give a proper working serial in parallel out shift register schematic preferably without CE, CLR, reset, preset if
possible.

I'm a complete beginner in electronics as you can see................

Thanks

What you posted should work if your using a DJ flip-flop

But I would use a 4015 easy to use and less wiring to do

Last edited:
Another design popular in consumer equipment is a 4094, or a 74hc4094, this is an 8 bit serial shift register but it also has a latch so you can shift the data in, then latch it onto the output pins avoiding the ripple effect which I think you tried to describe.

Yes, your drawing will work as a serial in parallel out SR.

But, make sure that you connect a bypass capacitor across the power supply pins.

A ceramic cap in the range 10 nF ~ 100 nF is adequate.

If you don't do this, you will be very likely to have unwanted results, ie. it won't work the way you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back