4-bit binary to decimal into dual 7 segment displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
A way to reduce the parts count with the counter method is to use a 40110 decade counter driver. This directly drives 7-segment displays and also has a built-in latch to eliminate any flicker while the count is occurring. Of course you also need an up/down binary counter, such as the 4516 or 4029, to go with it.

Yes.. I have thought too about 40110 and you know what in our local market I try to buy 40110 2 months ago but cant find it...in the case about up binary counter i'll use 4510.....
and one more thing if I use 40110 in the circuit that i posted, that will can stop the flickering .. is not it??? what do you say.....???

4510 is a BCD counter.

As I stated, the 40110 has an output latch to eliminate flicker. You just enable the latch to read in the new value at the end of each count period.

As I said yesterday, flickering won't be a problem if the cycle rate is fast enough.

If the clock freq is 200 kHz then the maximum counting time will be 1.28 ms.

The minimum time will be 0 us (if 0 is to be converted).

So the average time will be 1.28/2 = 640 us.

In Australia, the TV frame frequency is 50 Hz & no flicker is noticable.

EDIT.
The 4553 is a 3 digit BCD up counter. It is available here from JayCar.

Last edited:

Hi Again , the circuit diagram I posed in #24 there are two frequency one is from clock (as stated in the diagram) and other one is converter (as stated in the diagram).... the clock is 75Khz and converter 1/2Hz...
so which one should be 200 KHz??????

The clock should be 200 kHz. The convert is just a start pulse that starts the conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…