Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-bit binary to decimal into dual 7 segment displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
A way to reduce the parts count with the counter method is to use a 40110 decade counter driver. This directly drives 7-segment displays and also has a built-in latch to eliminate any flicker while the count is occurring. Of course you also need an up/down binary counter, such as the 4516 or 4029, to go with it.

A way to reduce the parts count with the counter method is to use a 40110 decade counter driver. This directly drives 7-segment displays and also has a built-in latch to eliminate any flicker while the count is occurring. Of course you also need an up/down binary counter, such as the 4516 or 4029, to go with it.
Yes.. I have thought too about 40110 and you know what in our local market I try to buy 40110 2 months ago but cant find it...in the case about up binary counter i'll use 4510.....
and one more thing if I use 40110 in the circuit that i posted, that will can stop the flickering .. is not it??? what do you say.....???

Yes.. I have thought too about 40110 and you know what in our local market I try to buy 40110 2 months ago but cant find it...in the case about up binary counter i'll use 4510.....
and one more thing if I use 40110 in the circuit that i posted, that will can stop the flickering .. is not it??? what do you say.....???
4510 is a BCD counter.

As I stated, the 40110 has an output latch to eliminate flicker. You just enable the latch to read in the new value at the end of each count period.

o yes. 4510 is a BCD..

As I said yesterday, flickering won't be a problem if the cycle rate is fast enough.

If the clock freq is 200 kHz then the maximum counting time will be 1.28 ms.

The minimum time will be 0 us (if 0 is to be converted).

So the average time will be 1.28/2 = 640 us.

In Australia, the TV frame frequency is 50 Hz & no flicker is noticable.

EDIT.
The 4553 is a 3 digit BCD up counter. It is available here from JayCar.

Last edited:
As I said yesterday, flickering won't be a problem if the cycle rate is fast enough.

If the clock freq is 200 kHz then the maximum counting time will be 1.28 ms.

The minimum time will be 0 us (if 0 is to be converted).

So the average time will be 1.28/2 = 640 us.

In Australia, the TV frame frequency is 50 Hz & no flicker is noticable.

EDIT.
The 4553 is a 3 digit BCD up counter. It is available here from JayCar.

Hi Again , the circuit diagram I posed in #24 there are two frequency one is from clock (as stated in the diagram) and other one is converter (as stated in the diagram).... the clock is 75Khz and converter 1/2Hz...
so which one should be 200 KHz??????

The clock should be 200 kHz. The convert is just a start pulse that starts the conversion.

use 74185 IC to display digits on 2 seven segment
Why are you necroposting to a thread that was last posted 6 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back