Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 -20 mA converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurie

I am looking for a 4 to 20 mA to 0 to 5 Volt converter circuit to connect industrial sensors to PIC micros.

I have some circuits but it requires negative supply which I do not have.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Regards

Jurie

Look around for ICs that are specialy made for that purpose.

I remember that Burr-Brown had plenty. And im shure there are many more.

If you dont want to use those chips, you can always use an ampop to convert the current to voltage.
That way, youre able to ADC the voltages.

asena

Thanks Asena

I am using the XTR115 (ex Burr Brown now Texas) already to provide 4 - 20 mA loop supply to sensors but they no longer do a cost effective I/V. Like I said, my problem is with the dual supply opamp ciruits - I do not have a negative supply and cannot find single supply opamp examples.

Regards

Jurie

Well, in that case i cant help much, for i dont have any circuits.

I design my circuits for the needs i have. THat way, each project is different.

If youre looking for single supply opamps, one is quad LM324. And im sure youll find plenty of more, single or dual.

I hope it helps

asena

Jurie said:
I am using the XTR115 (ex Burr Brown now Texas) already to provide 4 - 20 mA loop supply to sensors but they no longer do a cost effective I/V. Like I said, my problem is with the dual supply opamp ciruits - I do not have a negative supply and cannot find single supply opamp examples.

You could use another opamp to generate a midpoint to give a simulated split supply, or use a 7660 IC to generate an actual spilt supply.

Here is a circuit. I know that I designed this circuit before, but can never remember where I stashed it.

The easiest way to adjust this circuit is to adjust R1 for a 5 volt swing at the output, then adjust R2 for zero at 4mA in or 5V at 20 mA in.

Attachments

• 4-20conv.jpg
    4-20conv.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 9,988
What supply voltage(s) do you have available? How about a reference voltage, such as for your A/D converter?

4-20mA converter

Russlk's circuit should do the trick. To go along with the theme of this thread, here's another circuit that might be of interest. It performs the opposite function (converts an 0-1V input voltage to a 4-20mA current using a single supply).

**broken link removed**

I have now tested the attached circuit and it seems to work fine. Can you please tell me if there are some issues that I need to consider.

Regards

Jurie

Attachments

• I_V_Converter.jpg
    I_V_Converter.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,530
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back