Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3V SDRAM? (128Mbit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Hi,

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of 3V SDRAM? I need a 128MBit SDRAM in a BGA package with 16bit wide words. I can find lots of 3-3.6V parts, but I am afraid of operating the chip at the very low end of its specified range. The part I have chosen right now is the Micron MT48LC8M16A2 but I am worried about its behavior at 3.0V supply. It seems everything is available in 1.8, 2.5 or 3.3 but I have found scant few 3.0V parts. Thanks for any help.

We assume that the rest of your circuit runs on 3.0V and can't be changed?

This is a commercial project and you need to support more than one unit?

If it's hobby, I would take a higher voltage (5V?) and provide current to the SDRAM from it through a resstor. Use a Schottky diode to set the (3.3 = 3.0 + Schottky). This assumes that you have 5V, and your 3.0V regulator doesn't mind having a few mA taken away.

If your 3.0V comes from a pair of alkaline cells, the nominal output is 2.5V after about 10% of its life.

This is for work actually, small production runs (probably 50-100 units at a time). We've got a TI DSP talking to the SDRAM via the EMIF interface.

3.0V is coming from a single lithium thionyl chloride cell (3.5V) being bucked down to 3.0V. The whole system must be ultra-low power, and running the DSP I/O and the SDRAM at 3.0V gives us some extra life vs. running at 3.3V.

Problem is, most SDRAM seems to be 1.8/2.5/3.3V and not a whole lot else out there. I found some 3.0V parts from Samsung but only at one supplier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back