Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3G Comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTP Pepper

I am considering using a 3G modem for fast data transfer between two points.
Can I simply call a data number on a 3G network with a 3G data enabled SIM and a 3G enabled modem and get fast transfer between two points?

On GPRS I get a message "Connect 9600". Will this be different on a 3G network?

I am looking at a transparent 1MB/s+ link. Is this possible?

I did "some" playing when my phone has a real modem in it. It was basically a PPP internet connection. I made/modified a modem driver for Mac OS9 for a Cell phone.

In the same time frame, I could have had a "data" number and a "cell" number. In order to call a FAX machine, you had to have "CSD" enabled, otherwise the end drops the call. That is limited to 9600 baud.

The problem will probably be routing to the other phone. I did some other PC related unsuccessful playing where I was trying to aggregate a restricted link (http only) with my cell link and have the non-permitted traffic use the cell. That didn't work. I was using the APN of the phone and, I think, that was part of the problem. The connection was limited to one.

Connections drop if they are not sustained.

We do have a service in the US called clear. www.Clear.com

I never tried calling the phone. Maybe I did. Not sure. Too long ago.

I know I could figure out the IP I was assigned. e.g. www.whatismyIP.com will work. But you may need a Dynamic DNS service to find the other modem.

Not much help?

I think that the fast data rates on mobile phones are only between each phone and the internet. I think that you will need to set up an internet connection on each mobile phone. If you want a transparent connection you need to find the IP address of each phone and get a connection that way.

I think that the fast data rates on mobile phones are only between each phone and the internet. I think that you will need to set up an internet connection on each mobile phone. If you want a transparent connection you need to find the IP address of each phone and get a connection that way.

Thanks. That's a good start. So little info on the Web. I take it then I can just hammer data to an ftp server and pull off in slower time over an ADS/Fiber connection - which would be fine for my app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back