Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna related question: Can i use wifi yagi 2.4ghz antenna for 3g/ cdma usb modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Hello

Just as title says, can i use wifi yagi antenna for usb 3g/ cdma modem to increase its signal strength and download/upload speed?
I saw in many sites that 3g yagi and wifi yagi antenna looks almost the same from outside. I know a little about their operating frequencyies, 3g works on 1800 mhz something cdma on 800mhz, so just asking casually, can it improve my network strength?
You might say why can't i just buy new antenna for 3g modem, well i want to but i have one spare wifi antenna, So i wanna test it out first before buying anything else, all i need to buy is CRC9 to RP SMA.

Regards!!

A yagi antenna has to be designed to match the carrier frequency. A yagi is also directional so you would have to know where the base station was so that you could point the yagi in the right direction. This would be OK if the question relates to use from home but it would be no for portable operation. There also may be rules about the maximum ERP or antenna gain.

Les.

A yagi antenna has to be designed to match the carrier frequency. A yagi is also directional so you would have to know where the base station was so that you could point the yagi in the right direction. This would be OK if the question relates to use from home but it would be no for portable operation. There also may be rules about the maximum ERP or antenna gain.

Les.

Well the one i have at home is 18 dBi.

My son bought a yagi wifi antenna for his apartment. He picks up free wifi from McDonalds 2 blocks away. He also picks up 100s of wifi from the apartment complex and near by houses. The antenna is $20 now.

Little non-practical experiment- can't we use a dish antenna, used for satellite TVs, by placing an ordinary receiver antenna to the point of the dish? Maybe it's not exactly practical because TV dish are designed to receive 10s of GHz and wi-fi has 2GHz. However for same frequency, I saw many wide and small dishes.

can't we use a dish antenna, used for satellite TVs, by placing an ordinary receiver antenna to the point of the dish?
Yes, provided the dish diameter is several times greater than the wavelength of interest.

My son bought a yagi wifi antenna for his apartment. He picks up free wifi from McDonalds 2 blocks away. He also picks up 100s of wifi from the apartment complex and near by houses. The antenna is $20 now.

I bet he does, its just wifi works on different frequency than 3g/umts, so i am not sure whether my 18dbi would work with it or not. I even know the location of closest tower, so i know where to point it. I just want someone to confirm whether its worth the effort to try using it with my 3g modem?

Yes, provided the dish diameter is several times greater than the wavelength of interest.

You mean the one used for digital satellite receiver, the round shaped one with an equipment called LNB at the middle of the metal plate connected by aluminum rod?
If it is what you mean, do u think it will work for 800MHz frequency? My wireless isp says their service works on 800 mhz. I have three of these types of dish at home.

You mean the one used for digital satellite receiver, the round shaped one with an equipment called LNB at the middle of the metal plate connected by aluminum rod?
Yes, but the dish only. The satellite-band LNB would be replaced by an antenna tuned to the frequency of interest.

This exactly how my antenna looks, except mine is 18 dbi.

The picture in the advert claims a gain of 25dBi
In the specification, the claim is 16dBi

For that antenna, 16dBi is stretching credibility, 25dBi is simply ludicrous!

I would believe about 14dBi on a good day.

JimB

Just as title says, can i use wifi yagi antenna for usb 3g/ cdma modem to increase its signal strength and download/upload speed?
Well, either it is a WIFI antenna, or it is for 3G. Choose one.
I saw in many sites that 3g yagi and wifi yagi antenna looks almost the same from outside. I know a little about their operating frequencyies, 3g works on 1800 mhz something cdma on 800mhz, so just asking casually, can it improve my network strength?
May look the same, but are not. Neither 800MHz nor 1800MHz is anywhere in the vicinity of 2.4GHz, so no, one will not work in place of the other, and you are only likely to destroy the transmitter should you try.

Well, either it is a WIFI antenna, or it is for 3G. Choose one.
May look the same, but are not. Neither 800MHz nor 1800MHz is anywhere in the vicinity of 2.4GHz, so no, one will not work in place of the other, and you are only likely to destroy the transmitter should you try.

I guess, i may have to buy a different one then
maybe something like this **broken link removed**
or this **broken link removed**
or this one **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back