Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3d delta printer, convert tower vertical position to xyz in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

My new printer! has 3 vertical towers with rods at length D , which come together to form a position in xyz space.

Any one happen to know the equation it uses to figure this out?

The vector length , D of each rod, depends on the RMS difference in each axis.
So D=√{(X-Xo)²+(Y-Yo)²+(Z-Zo)²}.
For base Bo at location Xo,Yo,Zo

I am very glad you mentioned about the RMS, actually the reason i ask was cause i was told one of my diagonal rods is bad length, I dont believe this is so , since i sized them while threaded through screw. but he is still probably right. I also used a spread sheet to log results for the G29 code, the best result showed a 0.3mm difference across the z-tower axis in the bed at the corners, but ok in center, like a u shape, however it is not a convex/concave error since the perpendicular axis' are ok aswell . I can post graphical later if it helps.

is there a way we can break down the D value to each RMS value, so i can tune for a size difference in the towers?

only by offset from some reference calibrations , such as corner and middle test calibration with some object.

If your actuator has stiction, there may be hysteresis error.
If stressed in a static position, there may be geometric bias (offset) in some places more than others.
If couplers or sleeve bearings have wobble, then other errors can occur including hystereis.

Last edited:
I have induction probe that returns the offset value of the true bed - nozzle distance when z should = 0, at multiple points across the bed.
if I understand that , would it help to get a second bed on stilts(level) that would measure the same values but at a higher point in z? it would be simple enough for me to modify code to do this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back