Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

32 or More LED Chaser Sequencer using Microcontroller Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alipendier

32 or More LED Chaser Sequencer Help!

Very simple request for the brains of this forum that I am hoping to get straight forward instructions on how to pull it off, and also have in a single thread that noobs like myself can understand...

I would like to know how to make the board and program the microcontroller to make a sequencer that can do the several patterns just like this YouTube - Fusion Core Light - 2: patterns 1 to 10

There is a programmable sequencer software being used here which I can not track down to get a copy... YouTube - 32 LED Programmable Sequencer

Also if its possible to control even more LEDs please also explain...

Someone suggested a 56 LED chaser here using PIC16F628A https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/24-led-chaser-using-pic16f628a.109913/#post900617

Last edited:
Sorry, I have never used a microcontroller. My LED chasers use 74HC4017 sequencing counter ICs.
Audioguru

EDIT:
I (thought I) was replying to a Personal Message.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have never used a microcontroller. My LED chasers use 74HC4017 sequencing counter ICs.
Audioguru

EDIT:
I (thought I) was replying to a Personal Message.

Any method that can accomplish the effects is greatly appreciated, please share. Thanks

holiday chasers are only 5 strand or less strings. individual control is not so trivial.

you will not be able to do that easily. you are looking at individual pwm control of 32 LEDs. you need to be able to address each LED 600 times a second to get ten intensity levels without flicker. BYTE serial would mean sending out 4 bytes 600 times a second before latching to get the PWM to function. with out the additional latch you would need to send them out 10 times that rate to have a 10% overhead - you would only be able to get 90% intensity.

dan

holiday chasers are only 5 strand or less strings. individual control is not so trivial.

you will not be able to do that easily. you are looking at individual pwm control of 32 LEDs. you need to be able to address each LED 600 times a second to get ten intensity levels without flicker. BYTE serial would mean sending out 4 bytes 600 times a second before latching to get the PWM to function. with out the additional latch you would need to send them out 10 times that rate to have a 10% overhead - you would only be able to get 90% intensity.

dan

Wow! Im a noob I have no clue right now... :)

A 40 pin PIC, like the 16F59, could drive 32 LEDs (each with it's own current limiting resistor) , with some pins left over for Mclr, Vss, Vdd, and osc. However, due to dissipation limits, and depending on the chosen LED current, it could not turn them all on at the same instant. However, this would give you almost unlimited patterns.

A PIC cant tolerate 12V. 5V is the usual PIC power supply. Each pin on a PIC can sink ~25mA, so after you know the forward drop of your chosen LED at ~20mA, you can calculate the resistor.

A PIC cant tolerate 12V. 5V is the usual PIC power supply. Each pin on a PIC can sink ~25mA, so after you know the forward drop of your chosen LED at ~20mA, you can calculate the resistor.

Each port is also limited to 100mA and therefore, if you use all pins, 12.5mA per led. However, 12.5mA per LED is pretty bright.

Mike.

Thanks for all the replies!

I appreciate the input from all posts, I still need a basic instruction on a possible way to build the board with the LEDs and get the PIC programmed to get those effects... Thanks

Last edited:
I appreciate the input from all posts, I still need a basic instruction on a possible way to build the board with the LEDs and get the PIC programmed to get those effects... Thanks

fine the cold hard truth is that:

1. you are probably not up to doing all those effects if you do not already know how to write a basic program. the effects rely on Pulse Width Modulating (PWM) each individual LED. That is what I was saying about accessing LEDs EACH LED needs 10 levels, or at least 5 levels, of brightness (amount of time turned on) controlled individually 70 times a second (to prevent rippling effects known as beat frequency) when viewed under 60Hz (US) or 50Hz (most everywhere else) lighting.

2. it sounds suspiciously like you are asking a group of hobbyists to do what is fairly substantial programming programming for you that you will then take to your friends and brag about having done or sell as a part of a product somewhere.

fine the cold hard truth is that:

1. you are probably not up to doing all those effects if you do not already know how to write a basic program. the effects rely on Pulse Width Modulating (PWM) each individual LED. That is what I was saying about accessing LEDs EACH LED needs 10 levels, or at least 5 levels, of brightness (amount of time turned on) controlled individually 70 times a second (to prevent rippling effects known as beat frequency) when viewed under 60Hz (US) or 50Hz (most everywhere else) lighting.

2. it sounds suspiciously like you are asking a group of hobbyists to do what is fairly substantial programming programming for you that you will then take to your friends and brag about having done or sell as a part of a product somewhere.

Actually I just want to learn how to do it myself, there are many ready to go kits available being sold for under $10, if I was interested in just bragging or selling I can just buy those. If it is too complex a project then I can forget it, it was just something that caught my attention and thought it can be nice to learn...

The video shows a software that does all the programming so that is more reason why I thought I may be able to learn it. Thanks for the reply!

Actually I just want to learn how to do it myself, there are many ready to go kits available being sold for under $10, if I was interested in just bragging or selling I can just buy those. If it is too complex a project then I can forget it, it was just something that caught my attention and thought it can be nice to learn...

The video shows a software that does all the programming so that is more reason why I thought I may be able to learn it. Thanks for the reply!

well connecting all the LEDs to a micro is easy enough, though it all needs to be at 5V. learning it yourself means starting simple... running a single LED up and down the length. after that dimming, bring the intensity up and down before switching LEDs. as you get more and more complex you will eventually run out of horsepower on the micro.

i would think the most effective general software would be a simple loop that looks up pin states and perhaps a delay out of a table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back