Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 way toggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

waf771

I need to know how to rotate between 3 outputs with a PBNO input using transistors. So each time I press the NO button it toggles the output between 1,2,3 then back to 1 and so forth. Any ideas???

You mean strictly transistors and no IC's? If yes, why is that?

I need to know how to rotate between 3 outputs with a PBNO input using transistors. So each time I press the NO button it toggles the output between 1,2,3 then back to 1 and so forth. Any ideas???

hi,
Make a 'transistorised' shift register.

It would be far easier [and cheaper] to buy a Shift Reg ic. say a dual 4bit.

an IC shift register will work. Where is a diagram of how to do this?

Look at the HEF4017 , 5 stage counter with 0 thru 9 outputs.

What do you plan to drive with the outputs.?

This is a basic circuit.

Attachments

• esp03 Jul. 26.gif
    esp03 Jul. 26.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I should have looked at the data sheets first, but the IOH of the counter looks a little wimpy. You may need to put pullups on the Q outputs if you go with the ULN part.

Also, after you build the circuit and if you observe erratic behavior in the switch it may be a switch bounce problem. Eric did add switch debounce for the switch, but this may cause sloping edges which might cause the CMOS part to false trigger. If this happens you might want to put a schmidt trigger device in front of the counter input.
Here is a link that discusses switch bounce.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/07/196470.pdf

Thanks so much for the help. I think I am in the right direction now

I should point out, in the RESET state, the output '0' will be High.
Pushing the pb will set '0' output low and '1' output high..etc.

If you want a totally OFF selection, move the reset link along one pin and use outputs '1 thru 3' with the reset link on output '4'.

OK.?

As Mike points out, depending upon the quality of the push switch, it may need a better debounce circuit.
The ULN2003 is CMOS compatible.

Last edited:
As Mike points out, depending upon the quality of the push switch, it may need a better debounce circuit.
The ULN2003 is CMOS compatible.

Your circuit was fine Eric, I just wanted to give a heads up just incase. I hope I did not offend :)

Your circuit was fine Eric, I just wanted to give a heads up just incase. I hope I did not offend :)
hi Mike,

I like to feel that all members make their posts in a spirit of cooperation rather than competition.

At the end of the day, if the OP gets the answers he needs thats all that matters to me.

In no way does it cause me a problem..:):)

You are a true gentleman Mr. Gibbs, an honor to know you. Wish I could meet you in person as I am sure you would enrich my life in some way.

Thanks...

P.S. Is the Gibbs name in any relation to the Bee Gee's ? lol

I which you hadn't said that! :D

I'll now think of Eric having a high sqeaky voice every post he makes!.

Sorry, I have no connection with the B-Gees. :p

Proud to say, still have not completley lost my good Yorkshire accent, I dont think "Eee by gum lad" would blend
with the B-G's sound..:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back