Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3-way switching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you feel confident to write the PIC programme? It will be relatively simple & I can give you a flowchart to work from.

Yes, if you study the flowchart, you will see that the remote does turn the light on.

The light controller monitors the fan wire, so it knows whether the fan is on or off. EDIT, see below.

If you use a PIC, then you will be able to do it with three integrated circuits.

Alternatively, you can do it in hardware, but that will require five integrated circuits.

Moreover, I realised that we can use the simple SDL that I posted previously.

However, there is a minor improvement that can be made. I'll post a modified drawing later.

EDIT
You raised a good point. I have just realised what you meant.

It would be simpler to access the Fan status info from the Fan Controller. So if you can access the right point, then you will only need 2 integrated circuits for the PIC version, i.e. the PIC & an Opto Coupler.

Last edited:
Here is the modified SDL.

I suggest you use a PIC such as the 12F675 for the following reasons.

1. It is cheap and comes in an eight pin package.
2. It has an internal oscillator which reduces the component count.
3. You will only need two inputs & one output.

Please check the SDL, and let me know if you are happy with it.

If so, I’ll draw a circuit diagram & a flow chart and post them in a day or two.

I realised that it can be simplified a little.

I'll post a circuit diagram & flowchart in a day or 2.

I discussed your project with a friend who has a similar unit.

He told me that he can switch either the fan or the light on or off with his remote.

I have been assuming that you can't control them independently, i.e. the light comes on when you switch the fan on & it goes off when you switch the fan off.

Is this true? Or do you have independent control?

Yesterday I had another look at the link you posted some days ago (post #32) that shows the fan unit, etc.

I found a link on it that gives more detail of the remote controller. I have attached a photo of the controller extracted from that link. Is this the one you have?

If so, this answers the question that I asked in post #45, i.e. whether the fan and light can be controlled independently.

So, given that I have been on the wrong tram, I am puzzled why you have been agreeing with the SDL diagrams I have been posting.

The last SDL I posted indicated that the light would come on when the fan is switched on.

Do you really want to do it this way? Or do you want the light controlled by the buttons on the remote and the switch on the wall, i.e. 3 way switching (using your terminology)?

Last edited:
I do not have a insteon fan controller . I have a controller similar to it. the insteon stuff i dont believe is compatable. I searched on the manufacturers website and could not find any OEM solutions.
Yes i want to do the 3-way switching.

I'm just going to throw this out for fun. I actually have this fan controller: https://www.amazon.com/Harbor-Breez...&qid=1347935052&sr=1-4&keywords=harbor+breeze and I thought that if I bought two, it would work, but it doesn't.

it's a neat controller because it has times lighting, timed fan and temperature controlled fan w/speed control BUT it lacks the ability to turn the light on from the wall switch.

I was thinking of something a little different, but I just don't have the time. What if one put an RF module on the wall and integrated receiver in the remote? Basically use this to activate light and timed light & possibly fan. That's only 3 buttons.

Maybe something like that can be done here? If I had infinate time or infinate $ then a Zigbee controller with LCD would be really cool.

Turned out that I put a dual gang wall cover with velcro and stuck it on the wall.

I have attached the block diagram & the basic circuit diagram.

But before I can do more, I need to know more about the Control Module.

1. What DC voltage does it provide?
2. Does it operate at mains potential?
3. How is the light switched?

The light may be switched by a electronic circuitry or by a relay.

If it is done by a relay, you should be able to hear a click when you use the remote to turn the light on or off.

i am going out of town for 2-4 weeks. I will have to put this project on hold till i get back. can i pm you ljcox when i get back?

i am going out of town for 2-4 weeks. I will have to put this project on hold till i get back. can i pm you ljcox when i get back?
Certainly, PM me when you are ready.

In the meantime, I suggest that you take a photo of the PCB in the Control Module as I need to know more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back