Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 toroidal transformers in paralel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as it was tight in the box around the main power input, I decided to build a smaller plastic box with an accessible fuse and an on/off switch, the same type of plug you linked to me, so it's easy to access and replace the fuse if needed. Hopefully I won't have to do that!

So in the idea for a next design:
-1 main fuse on the live wire to take care of possible safety issues and cut the power going into the device.
-1 post-transformer fuse per transformer to prevent each circuit from a possible issue coming from the transformer

Each of these fuses of course with a different amperage, depending of the power of each circuit.

Again, thanks a lot Nigel and Diver!

It's interesting to note that plug top adaptors like these:- https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-dc-adapters/4006535/ are still available.

The only protection is a thermal fuse. Upstream of that, the usual circuit breaker would be 32 A in the UK.

Of course, there really isn't much chance of a short between the plug and the transformer, as there is only a couple of centimeters of wire at most, inside a welded plastic housing.

Which is perfectly fine - the thermal fuse is all that's needed - and is almost certainly a non-replaceable one internal to the transformer. As such it meets all UK legislation. As I suggested above, it's mainly there to prevent fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back