Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
seasons greetings from the land of gold -Ghana in west Africa. I want be abreast of three phase wiring .
Assuming a hypothetical workshop consisting of : two motors (415 Vac) ,three anti splash sockets (single phase) and four flourescent lights is to be wired.In very simple language ,how should should i proceed.The voltage in Africa is 220-240 VAC.
NB: A simple block diagram would be much appreciated.
Wisdom Kwame

Last edited:
Hi.

Your request is in my view ambiguous. A block diagram won't review details about wiring.

Are the motors 3-phase? If their voltage rating is 415Vac how do you expect to run them from 220-240Vac?

I'd fit a distribution box with seperate fuses (or breakers) for the 3 phase sockets, and another for the 240v sockets, and yet another for the lights, and run all the cables as singles in steel 40 or 50mm conduit right round the 'shop.
You need to decide if your 3 phase sockets are going to be 4 pin (just 3 phases), or 5 pin (3 phase and neutral), look at your equipment to find out, the 5th pin is for a neutral, which is sometimes needed if your machines have computers or drives.

Hi Grossel
thanks for caveat. Are very conversant with the 3 phase wiring? Can get us to speed about how it is done in Norway.
I am running out of time.I do not have internet access ; i am reaching you from the cyber cafe(video library).

Yes and nope.
I'm currently an industrial leccy, but I've no experience of the regs or standards in Norway.

So is how we do this way

We run both standards over here because 400V with neutral is assembled on places that doesn't already have 230V avaiable.

As earlier sait, motors that normally runs on 400V is not normally connected to one phase 230V.
However, if that is the only possible power supply avaiable you need to get a motor controller*.

* I can't remember the correct english term for it just now, and google translate just isn't smart enough to give me other than this horrific translation. A web search also fails to answer because Google seems to beleive I try to find a stepper controller.

In the uk a 230v supply is just one of the 3 phases and a neutral.

I think parts of germany use a different system for 3 phase, ie a 220v supply isnt just one of the phases and a neutral its a commited 220v transformer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back