2n3904 isn't 2n3904???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

This is weird.
When I replaced a 2N3904 in my superregen with a brand new 2N3904 from a different manufacturer, then it does not work. However, if I replaced it with a 2N3903, it seemed to work again. The old 2N3904 is not damaged.

Is it true that certain manufacturers make bad transistors?

I would not say "bad' transistors, just the specs being a little different. If you ever had cause to match the gain of two identical transistors you will find it can take a handfull of transistors to find two that match.

Maybe your circuit is critical in a certain transistor parameter and your brand new 2N3904 was not up to it.

MStechca,
Maybe your "bad" transistor is too good for your circuit.
A 2N3904 is guaranteed to have a current gain from 100 to 300 at a certain voltage and current.
A 2N3903's current gain is only from 50 to 150 for the same conditions.

I always design transistor circuits to use negative feedback so that any transistor of the one I selected will work.

Don't call a good transistor bad, when the circuit is bad.

i agree with Audioguru. any design that is dependent on the beta of a transistor is bad. buy a good electronic circuits book and learn about feedback in BJT amplifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…