Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2n3904 isn't 2n3904???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

This is weird.
When I replaced a 2N3904 in my superregen with a brand new 2N3904 from a different manufacturer, then it does not work. However, if I replaced it with a 2N3903, it seemed to work again. The old 2N3904 is not damaged.

Is it true that certain manufacturers make bad transistors?

mstechca said:
This is weird.
When I replaced a 2N3904 in my superregen with a brand new 2N3904 from a different manufacturer, then it does not work. However, if I replaced it with a 2N3903, it seemed to work again. The old 2N3904 is not damaged.

Is it true that certain manufacturers make bad transistors?

I would not say "bad' transistors, just the specs being a little different. If you ever had cause to match the gain of two identical transistors you will find it can take a handfull of transistors to find two that match.

Maybe your circuit is critical in a certain transistor parameter and your brand new 2N3904 was not up to it.

MStechca,
Maybe your "bad" transistor is too good for your circuit.
A 2N3904 is guaranteed to have a current gain from 100 to 300 at a certain voltage and current.
A 2N3903's current gain is only from 50 to 150 for the same conditions.

I always design transistor circuits to use negative feedback so that any transistor of the one I selected will work.

Don't call a good transistor bad, when the circuit is bad. :(

The library is full of good theory (for free), the internet is not. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back