Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

28000watt amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeytree

would it be possible to fit a 28000watt amp in a small car?
does it even exist?
cause my friend thinks knows someone who has one in his car i think hes loney

28KiloWatts is enough power to run several average homes.
He must be towing around a diesel powered generator set behind the car also.

If your friend's friend is Michael J Fox then he might be referring to the car featured in the movie "Back to the Future." They'd wait for a lightning strike to power it.

A 100% efficient generator would require about 38 hp to produce 28 kw. At almost perfect efficiency that's nearly 600 amps at 48 volts. That would be a lot of engine and a lot of battery(ies) dedicated to an amp.

Sure, I could envision someone stacking 28-1 kw amps or 54-500 watt amps but why?

If you have ever heard of Decibel DragRacing, those guys pack 20kW+ in a van and try to see who
can make the louder system. :shock: Of course the vehicles can't drive and weigh in the 10,000 pound range. :p
The Idea of have 20kW in a car amp can be done but that much power in a confined space would
probally kill a person.

kingpin094

your mate your would have to pulg his car into the mains over night to charge it back up again. taking the fact car alternators are 30% efficient at best (whole loop here not just one part), he would need at least 100hp of his cars engine output to drive the system.

If it were on full power, it enough the smash the windows, blow the doors off and melt most of the car. If a person was in the car with 28kW of "real" audio power, (not some crappy PMPO or other crap), they would die, 100% sure here, they would die.

Not only would your ear drums burst, your eyeballs would heat up, probably burst, your heart would have real difficulty in beating your lungs would collapse, and if that was not enough the temperature of the air would rise by about 200 degrees centregrade per second (assuming no loss to the outside).

Is your mate still alive? if he is I very much doubt he has a "real" 28kW sound syste in his car. If he does it is probably only ever run on full power with all the doors open and from about 100 yards away.

the temperature of the air would rise by about 200 degrees centregrade per second
i did point out that his friend would need atleast a lorrary to carry the heat sink :twisted:

A lorry perhaps. Could you imagine a slip on the volume button, you'd have about a second and a half to stop the car and get out or you'll be at gas mark 9. :lol:

I have a heating mantle which is rated at about 15kW, we use it to melt lead, it can be used to melt steel in a furnace that takes about 60kg. It's not the 28kW of sound pressure, it's the 28kW dissepated in the amps that will heat the car/air, suppose all the audio energy was converted to heat as well, along with the effeciency, thats's well over 50kW, f*ck! :eek:

To put that into prespective, thats over 4kA that's needs to be drawn from the average car battery, say it's a 48V bus in the car (becoming more common these days) that is still over 1000 Amps. You would need a lead acid battery of at least 1200Ah capacity just to ensure the battery does not explode. Which is kind of good, it would last about a hour before you've f*cked the battery.

You would need an alternator about 1m long by 1m in diameter, not to mention the load on the engine would be about 160hp. come to think of it, he'd need a lorry to power the bloody thing aswell :lol:

Has he got an artic? He'd need one!

What is an 'artic'? Always fun to learn about subtle differences in terms. When I worked for Kodak I'd be on the phone to the folks in England or Australia. Most of the time we had no trouble but would have quite a laugh as we tripped over common terms for things.

stevez said:
What is an 'artic'? Always fun to learn about subtle differences in terms. When I worked for Kodak I'd be on the phone to the folks in England or Australia. Most of the time we had no trouble but would have quite a laugh as we tripped over common terms for things.

to you americans, its an 18 wheeler (or semi)

You mean, 130 kiloWatts, at only 74Hz. An awful lot of power! :lol:

audioguru said:
You mean, 130 kiloWatts, at only 74Hz. An awful lot of power! :lol:

The article sounds like the usual load of in-car rubbish! - 130,000W feeding just nine 15 inch speakers? - I don't remember seeing single speakers for sale rated at 14,000W each?.

That's 14,000W into each 15" speaker " for two or three seconds". I am sure that they wouldn't use wimpy speakers. :lol:

audioguru said:
That's 14,000W into each 15" speaker " for two or three seconds". I am sure that they wouldn't use wimpy speakers. :lol:

Two to three seconds of possibly 100 times overload, at a very low frequency - guaranteed to kill anything :lol:

I have an 18" speaker that I can hardly lift. It is powerful enough that it can be plugged into my 120V mains continuously, 1800W RMS. Like most high-power speakers, its voice coil and adhesives are high temperature stuff and is vented so that its motion helps cool it. If it was in a tuned box so that it doesn't move its coil too far, it could probably withstand many thousands of Watts for a couple seconds. :lol:

audioguru said:
I have an 18" speaker that I can hardly lift. It is powerful enough that it can be plugged into my 120V mains continuously, 1800W RMS. Like most high-power speakers, its voice coil and adhesives are high temperature stuff and is vented so that its motion helps cool it. If it was in a tuned box so that it doesn't move its coil too far, it could probably withstand many thousands of Watts for a couple seconds. :lol:

Would you risk it?.

28000 watts! Marty, the only way to get that sort of power would be a bolt of lightning! Unfortunately, there is no way to know when or where it is going to hit... wait, the clock tower! Of course!

Nigel Goodwin said:
Would you risk it?.
I'm not worried about my high-power speaker, I'm worried about mine and my neighbours' windows! :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back