Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

277V Ballasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hey, I have a 55W LPS lamp that I'm trying to power up. I've seen a fair few people recommend the Workhorse 5 instant start fluorescent ballast.

The issue is, this ballast is only available in 120 and 277V versions. I gather 277V is some form of US 3phase, but I'm wondering, would it work OK from 240V here in Australia? It is rated for 50/60Hz.

Regards,
Dan

The simplest thing to do is to use a common 24 VAC transformer with its secondary in series with its primary to boost the 240 VAC line to 264 VAC which is close enough to 277 for the ballast to run normally.

In the USA 277 is one leg of a Wye connected 480 volt system.

Hmm, so basically create an autotransformer. I've read around that the ballast should be fine on 240V, just it may be a bit sluggish to start the lamp and run it slightly under power. I'll keep the 24VAC trafo idea in mind if it doesn't work reliably though :)

Thanks

Hmm, just another question:

If I get a 70W ballast, and run it on 240V instead of 277V, will it's output be lower also?

70W is probably a bit too much to be overdriving the lamp, but I'm wondering whether powering it from 240V would drop it's output to a safer level?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back