Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

250 Mig , tig , stick welder foot pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

250 inverter uni Mig Welder
,Mig tig stick
I was given a foot pedal for the tig welding but I do not under stand the wiring of the unit to my welder and there is a 7 pin plug on the foot pedal but there is no plug on the welder for this .
can you help me out.
Thank you Greg.

Make and model?

Being that the specifications for that say it's a lift start in TIG mode, I don't really think it will work with a foot control. You just set the amps on the panel and go welding. Those multi purpose welders are like most multipurpose tools, they don't do anything well, or not near as good as a tool designed for a purpose.

My tig set foot pedal has 5 connections, 3 for the pot in the pedal, and 2 for the switch which activates at the start of the pedals stroke.
You need the pinout of the socket on the weld set to be able to work out whats what, not all the connections need to be made.
I've used a multi purpose set for mig & stick & it worked Ok, tig mode is that one that will be the acid test, if the unit doesnt have a arc starter it'll be a pain to use.

My tig set foot pedal has 5 connections, 3 for the pot in the pedal, and 2 for the switch which activates at the start of the pedals stroke.
You need the pinout of the socket on the weld set to be able to work out whats what, not all the connections need to be made.
I've used a multi purpose set for mig & stick & it worked Ok, tig mode is that one that will be the acid test, if the unit doesnt have a arc starter it'll be a pain to use.

Did yours come with a socket for the foot pedal? His doesn't according to him and the maker website. So he will need to make internal changes to allow the foot pedal to work and add a socket.

On your multi machine, is there a switch to change the output from constant current mode to constant voltage mode? Without a way to do that one or more of the welding modes is going to be really bad. That is the problem with most of those multi type welding machines. Tig and stick take one type of supply and Mig takes the other.

Shorty, I was talking about 2 weld sets, one my tig set, and the other was a tig/mig that I borrowed.

My tig has a 7 pin socket oem, there is a current control on the front as well as a switch, flipping the switch selects the control on the front of the set, or the foot pedal, theres 2 kinds of socket, import style and amphenol style (see my pic).
The switch that makes when you start to press the pedal enables the Hf start in the weld set, its an older style set that has Hf start, I think theres a link in the 7 pin plug that enables this.

The machine I borrowed that was mig/tig did have a switch yes, it dodnt say constant voltage constant current, it just said mig / tig, I assume it did do the former, and actually made a decent weld in both modes.
I've never used one of the really bad ones, thankfully.

I use a size 25 tig torch that has a pot on the side for current and connects to the foot pedal socket, if I'm doing a machine repair or just a bit of welding its much better than faffing with a foot pedal around a vehicle or machine, but you cant wear thick gloves so if your doing a lot of welding you need a foot pedal.

I fancy one of these flashy digital jobs that can do ac/dc and variable frequency, you can assign the foot pedal to vary any of them, cool, mine does hi/lo pulse but its only adjustable on the front panel.

For an electronically inclined person it shouldnt be that hard to fit a 7 pin socket, some weld set shops might do it too.
IMG_20200214_134900.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back