Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24xx NVM programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build myself a nice, tidy programmer specifically for the 24xx series of NVMs. Ideally I'm looking for a programmer that will be compatbile with the ponyprog software and to that end I've ordered myself up some components to build the SI programmer hardware detailed on the ponyprog website.

However, I would prefer a parallel-port programmer and the SI programmer only has an option for serial-port connection. This adds a slight complication for me as my laptop is too new to have a standard serial-port, so in order to use the SI Programmer I'd have to also purchase a USB-Serial adapter.

Does anyone here use a parallel based programmer that's capable of programming the 24xx range of devices and is compatible with ponyprog? I am of course looking for something that I can build myself so I'm looking to obtain schematics and documentation for the programmer.

Thanks for any advice

Brian

Hi nigel,

I did look on the site where the ponyprog software is and infact that's where I got my original schematic from for the "SI-Programmer" which apparently is the proper hardware to use with ponyprog.

I didn't see that programmer on there though and I see that it uses the parallel-port which is much more convenient for me - thanks very much for that Nigel :)

Brian

Just out of interest, the reason I'm building myself this programmer is mainly because of a certain fault I've recently had on a Sharp television. I had one of their AK45 chassis in for repair with the symptom of "cyclic tripping" and I spent absolutely HOURS on the thing trying to work out why the power supply wouldn't start up properly.

Eventually I decided to re-program the NVM with a set of default data from the Sharp technical website and to that end I borrowed a programmer from a friend of mine. Once I reprogrammed the NVM the set came on and worked fine! In disbelief that I'd actually solved the problem I actually re-loaded the old data back onto the NVM and then I was back to the original tripping problem so it seems the original NVM data had become corrupted and this was causing the set to trip when starting up.

Since then a few colleagues of mine have had the exact same fault which I've been able to cure for them in minutes by re-programming the NVM. I'm going to have to give this programmer back eventually though so hence why I want to build my own.

Thanks again Nigel

Brian

Looking at the schematic it's got a few "5V" points where I assume they should be connected to a stable 5V line. Does that mean I should also add some circuitry to provide a regulated 5V power-supply to these points do you think?

If so I'll see if I can look up a suitable low-current regulator (don't want anything with high-current as I don't want to damage any sensative components on any set I might be working on). Infact it might be a good idea to provide two possible supplies, one being 5V and the other being 3.3V which can be switched between. The reason I say this is that some equipment now use modern microprocessors which run off 3.3V and, if I were to clip my test clip onto an NVM with 5V on it, potentially it could damage the micro or something else.

Any advice on that?

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
Looking at the schematic it's got a few "5V" points where I assume they should be connected to a stable 5V line. Does that mean I should also add some circuitry to provide a regulated 5V power-supply to these points do you think?

If so I'll see if I can look up a suitable low-current regulator (don't want anything with high-current as I don't want to damage any sensative components on any set I might be working on). Infact it might be a good idea to provide two possible supplies, one being 5V and the other being 3.3V which can be switched between. The reason I say this is that some equipment now use modern microprocessors which run off 3.3V and, if I were to clip my test clip onto an NVM with 5V on it, potentially it could damage the micro or something else.

EEPROM corruption is a VERY common fault, particularly on Sharp TV's - although an AK45 isn't actually a Sharp TV?, it's a badged Vestel made in Turkey!.

If you have access to the Sharp technical site (or your friend does?), check the technical bulletins, they explain how to use PonyProg and the parallel port programmers for various Sharp TV's.

i can program a parrallel port and will be happy to write programs
i just need to know how to encode the data you want to send to the chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back