Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question for all computer Programmers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

I was given a small job and i am not sure if i can do it so i wanted to ask your opinion. There are tons of text files, the sample i have to work with is in notepad format. The thing is like an inventory with security features in it. It has junk mixed with real inventory. I need to write a program so that when i enter this text file , the output is a text file with the junk omitted. I have general ideas of how to do this. My question is, what programming language would be best suited to do this. C++? or possibly even Visual Baisc maybe?
IF you notice, the junk is basicallly non-conventional characters, so this should not be too hard. I can program this in C to do it easily but I dont know how to create the user interface portion of the program in C to make it very user friendly.

Attachments

• instock.txt
    68.1 KB · Views: 383
All programmming languages should have File I/O features. Just use one in which you are comfortable with. As for a GUI, is there really a need to have one? A command-line app since fine here.

Visual basic makes it really easy to do UIs. I'm not a big fan of the language itself though. Supposedly C# has the same UI tools but with a C++ syntax - Microsoft Visual Studio.Net has the C# tools.

Have you considered perl? :p It was invented to handle I believe, to manage large log files on remote servers. No cost ... standard on linux boxes (check activestate perl for a windows port). Lots of examples around.

A 'C' program that only copies the readable ascii should take few minutes to write ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back