Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24v supply from battery pack. Need direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnight01

Wow. Glad I found this site.

I have been out of electronics for 20 years or so. Things have changed a bit. I have forgotten a LOT. I am trying to get back into it as a hobby.

I am looking to make a battery pack that will vary between 21 and 29 volts, lithium. I would like to have a 24v output at 4a max.

Can I get some suggestions on what to start reading on? Or if it is even possible.

I am wanting to make a battery backup for a CPAP machine. I do not know what the voltage tolerance is on the machine.

Thanks..

(I reread my post and see where the confusion is. I am looking to regulate the voltage at a constant 24V dc.)

That is basically what I am putting together. I am using 18650 2000mah cells in a 7S8p configuration.

Model: LGEAMF11865 (ICR18650MF1)
Capacity: 2150mAh Rated
Voltage: 3.65V Nominal
Charging: 4.20V Maximum
1075mA Standard
2150mA Maximum
Discharging: 2.75V Cutoff
430mA Standard
10000mA Maximum

The load is labeled 24V 3.75A. The goal is 6-8 hours.

For some reason in my notes, I have a 7s2p pack as 4.4Ah and 111Wh.? The load is 76.5W ( (24*3.75) *.85). That would give 4.9 hrs. I think my figuring is wrong.

I may be over thinking things a bit and am worried that the CPAP can not run in 21-29V range.

How about making the pack four cell series, so around 12 - 16V working range, then using an off-the-shelf car laptop PSU to give the stabilised 24V output?

eg. one of these, or similar:
**broken link removed**

That's rated 120W so should be good for up to 5A as 24V, and it doubles as a mains power unit.

Car batteries are rated 11V when near flat to 15V on charge so a very similar range.

A version for 24V, or 12 / 24V universal input for cars & trucks would be even better but I've not found one so far.
(Such things do exist, I have a Lind 12 - 24V input one with 16V out for my Toughbooks).

The original pack was going to be 7S8p = 56 cells. That could equally be arranged as 4S14P with the same overall capacity.

Are you sure about the CPAP voltage? Mine and every one I've see are 12 volts.

I just found out on an apnea board that my machines use a reference voltage on their power plug. A straight 24v will not work. They are working on what I was wanting to do.

I was just hoping to get around using a wall wart to save some power.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The new Resmed machines switched to 24v. My old one used 12v. That made life easier but there is no money in it I guess....lol

I would suggest to buy a couple of 18V lithium packs meant for power tools, recharge them one by one in the charger meant for that tool, Find a couple of carrier connectors from junky tools at the pawn shop, and connect them in series at the CPAP.
In other words, use commercially available assemblies/packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back