Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24°F batteries don't work too cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

It is interesting to learn 24°F batteries read full voltage on the digital VOM but no amps to flash a Red LED. 2 D batteries in series are 3.2V. After being inside the house 74°F for a while LED starts to flash. I take them outside 24°F for a while LEDs stop flashing. I experimented with 3 batteries in series still no LEDs flash at 24°F. Interesting.

Your D size batteries are probably "Super Heavy Duty" from China that are mostly full of rice and always work poorly.
Name Brand (Energizer) alkaline and Ni-MH rechargeable batteries are powerful even when cold.
Costco sells Duracell low cost chargers that come with AA and AAA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries that are made in China. The cheap batteries work poorly even when warm.

Or, maybe it is the circuit itself which does not work at 24 degF.
Have you tried it with a known good battery?

JimB

I searched this website for Flashing LEDs Circuit and found Gary's multivibrator circuit posted in March 2021 using cheap Made In China, Super Heavy Duty batteries. Maybe the 24 degrees F froze the rice-water inside them. Energizer alkaline batteries are rated for operation down to 0 degrees F.

Last edited:
Why can't I mention that poor quality Super Heavy Duty batteries are made very cheaply in China and that Duracell of the USA also has cheap poor quality batteries made there??
Yesterday was Black Friday and I bought high quality Energizer alkaline batteries Made in USA and some high quality Energizer Ni-MH rechargeable batteries Made in Japan (like Eneloop). They are reliable.

Why can't I mention that poor quality Super Heavy Duty batteries are made very cheaply in China
You can but not in your xenophobic way. What proof do you have that batteries from China are full of rice? Utter racist drivel.

Mike.

Pommie, you asked Gary last year if his fake capacitors were Chinese. His photo came from China User.com. Are you a xenophobic racist?

There are videos on You Tube of disassembly of cheap ebay batteries from You Know Where.
Here is one video:

In the video they show the fake battery is mostly full of flour and here is a clip from the video:

Attachments

• fake ebay battery.png
    fake ebay battery.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 172
  • fake capacitor.png
    fake capacitor.png
    463.3 KB · Views: 172
Your D size batteries are probably "Super Heavy Duty" from China that are mostly full of rice and always work poorly.
Name Brand (Energizer) alkaline and Ni-MH rechargeable batteries are powerful even when cold.
Costco sells Duracell low cost chargers that come with AA and AAA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries that are made in China. The cheap batteries work poorly even when warm.

Thats racist in favor or Duracell.

Eneloop rechargeable cost less than Duracell.

WHY does windows 11 not have spell check that sucks ?

Or, maybe it is the circuit itself which does not work at 24 degF.
Have you tried it with a known good battery?

JimB
I tried warm batteries the circuit works. Cold batteries taken inside the house for 1 hour work too.

The most interesting thing for me is the VOM shows correct voltage 1.6v per D battery at 24 degrees F but frozen batteries don't work.

Last edited:
Pommie, you asked Gary last year if his fake capacitors were Chinese. His photo came from China User.com. Are you a xenophobic racist?

There are videos on You Tube of disassembly of cheap ebay batteries from You Know Where.
Here is one video:

In the video they show the fake battery is mostly full of flour and here is a clip from the video:

I have cut batteries open that are full of .093" diameter round white color Styrofoam balls. China has learned very evil deception from Americans. Harbor Freight Tools sells those worthless fake batteries I never buy those. Batteries that are being sold at Dollar Tree are already 2 years old DATE is on the new package.

Last edited:
A cheap poor quality cold battery produces 1.6V when it has a very small load current but its voltage drops when it has a higher load current.
A high quality cold battery produces 1.6V when it has a higher load current.

The Energizer alkaline batteries I bought at a food store two days ago on Black Friday has the package saying "10 Year Shelf life". They have a detailed datasheet.

You use D size batteries for your LED flasher and the D size is much larger and is much more powerful than an AA size battery. Have you tried Energizer AA size alkaline batteries that are frozen? I bought mine for $6.99CAN for 20 of them which is $0.26US each.

A cheap poor quality cold battery produces 1.6V when it has a very small load current but its voltage drops when it has a higher load current.
A high quality cold battery produces 1.6V when it has a higher load current.

The Energizer alkaline batteries I bought at a food store two days ago on Black Friday has the package saying "10 Year Shelf life". They have a detailed datasheet.

You use D size batteries for your LED flasher and the D size is much larger and is much more powerful than an AA size battery. Have you tried Energizer AA size alkaline batteries that are frozen? I bought mine for $6.99CAN for 20 of them which is $0.26US each.

I have been using D batteries for 2 years. I would buy better quality batteries if I could find them at a reasonable price. D enelop batteries cost less than D Duracells but rechargable are becoming a hastle with only 1 charger that charges 4 batteries. If I remember to swap out batteries I can charge 8 every day, sometimes 12.

Are Energizer batteries made in China?

Energizer is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri and operates six manufacturing facilities in the United States, two in China, and one each in Singapore and Indonesia respectively. These lithium-ion batteries (LIB) command a 16% price premium over Energizer's traditional alkaline based battery offering.

The end result regardless of where a battery is made is that low cost batteries generally will give poor performance. That's it and nothing will change that. You get what you pay for.

The recommended operating temperature range for alkaline batteries is -18° C to 55° C. However, it is important to keep in mind that battery performance is still impacted by temperature within the recommended range. Performance of the battery is primarily dependent on how fast critical fuels, water and hydroxyl ions, can move and react in the battery.

The above derived from Alkaline Manganese Dioxide Handbook and Application Manual.

Since a good alkaline battery should operate down to about 0.4 Degrees F. something else may be contributing to the problem. Invest a few dollars and buy some quality batteries and see if the problem persist.

Finally I know of no batteries having a chemical composition of rice and water and only a fool would believe such a battery exist.

Ron

I have been using D batteries for 2 years. I would buy better quality batteries if I could find them at a reasonable price. D enelop batteries cost less than D Duracells but rechargable are becoming a hastle with only 1 charger that charges 4 batteries. If I remember to swap out batteries I can charge 8 every day, sometimes 12.
Panasonic bought Sanyo who invented the Eneloop type of Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. Eneloop batteries are made only in AAA and AA sizes, not C or D and adapters can be purchased that fit an AA size into a D size adapter.

Your Photos early this year shows Made In China and Super Heavy Duty on some very cheap Chinese batteries. D size Eneloop batteries must be counterfeit fakes since Panasonic does not make that size.

I have never purchased Eneloop batteries because they are too expensive so instead I buy Energizer Ni-MH batteries that are made in Japan maybe by Panasonic using the Eneloop formula.
I avoid Duracell batteries because Cosco sells Chinese ones that have less mAh ratings than the real Duracell and other Name Brands.

I know of no batteries having a chemical composition of rice and water and only a fool would believe such a battery exist.

Ron
Gary the thread starter says he cut open cheap batteries that have styrofoam balls inside and I showed photos and a video of cheap Chinese 18650 lithium batteries and electrolytic capacitors that are fakes with flour inside. There are many more videos about Cheap Chinese fake things on You Tube.

I looked in Walmart, Target and Home Depot and none of them sell Duracell Ni-MH batteries in a D size. Walmart and Home Depot sell Energizer Ni-MH D size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back