Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

20 lights latching two at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hayato said:
Henners, take a look at the schematic #2, of my last post, it should work.
That's pretty simple. As I understand it, it also needs to have a 5 minute hold monostable (or counter).
The power for the lights can be unfiltered, but there needs to be a rectifier and filter for the counter and oscillator. This could be a 10 Amp full wave bridge for the lights, and a half wave rectifier/filter, powered off the bridge, for the rest of the circuitry. It probably doesn't need to be regulated.
Unfortunately, due to the high current required, he's probably going to need individual Darlington transistors.

Thanks Hayato
Got the graphics working, No.2 it is.
I'm going to set no.2 up on a breadboard and see how i get on.

Thanks Ron H for the darlington tip
Thanks once again to all for your help

Henners said:
Thanks Hayato
Got the graphics working, No.2 it is.
I'm going to set no.2 up on a breadboard and see how i get on.

Thanks Ron H for the darlington tip
Thanks once again to all for your help

Hello,
Don't forget you need to supply the 4017 with,at least, 12V. That's because you are going to have a 6V loss, when the 9th output is high.
The datasheet says that the voltage output high is VDD-0.05.

Are you going to use 12V lights? How much power they are going to drain? About 100W?
The main thing is that you need high gain darlingtons, because, according to ONSEMI's datasheet, you gonna have only for each output 10mA, so remember, the 9th output will have to drive 10 or 20 darlingtons.
Maybe you gonna need to connect one more transistor to the darlington pairs, to increase the Beta.
Or you could have some mosfets driving the lamps.

Now I'll try to modulate Ron's idea. :D

You said you need that each pair of lights be turned on every 0.5 secs.
So you need to create 2 circuits one astable, another monostable. (They can made from the 555 IC).

The astable freq. is 2 Hz.

The monostable shot is 5 minutes.

You can do this way:
1 - You connect the astable output to the 4017's CLK (clock) pin.
2 - After that, you connect the monostable output to the 4017's CKI (clock ignore) pin.
3 - Then, you connect the 4017's output #9 to the monostable trigger, the trigger can be a transistor, as the monostable is activated by a negative/0V pulse.

Later I'll try to post the schemactics.

Hello hayato

i've found this schematic under Electronic Content/Electronic projects page 2 posted by Kinjalgp in 2002.(10 channel light chaser)

Could I, change the 240v lamps for my 12v ones, adjust the 555 part of the circuit to the desired 2Hz frequency, and add in your diodes to get light flow effect i'm after as in your #2 design

Can i run a 555 monostable as you suggested, via the enable pin to hold it on for 5 minutes

Or am i missing something ?

Attachments

• chaser.gif
    chaser.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 224
Henners, here's a version that uses shift registers. It may be a little more complex than the 4017 circuit, but you might as well have it as an option.
I haven't tested it, so if anyone sees any problems, please post them.

Attachments

• walk light sequencer1.PNG
    walk light sequencer1.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Started this but didn't get too far. Instead of a triangle wave, I wanted a linear ramp. Couldn't find what I was looking for in that area. Anyway, this is what I had in mind, just need to use a ramp, and do the out puts for your lights.

Attachments

• Walklights.jpg
    Walklights.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 174
Gentlemen, once again I thank you

Looks like another trip to the shops to buy more components to try out these options.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back