Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2-digit LED counter Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

james6

I'm looking to make a simple scoreboard out of a couple 2-digit LED counters. I found something that looks pretty simple to use here: TWO DIGIT 2-3/4" LED COUNTER KIT - Surplus Shed , but I have a couple questions.

1) is there any way to add a reset to this item? so I wouldn't have to go to 99 before getting back to zero?

2) is there a way to wire two buttons to the counter instead of the one shown? I think this means wiring in parallel?

Thanks!

This kit looks like the same one sold by All Electronics. About 6 months ago I posted instructions here on how to mod it for manual reset. But the easy way (without mods) to reset it is to momentarily remove power.

Two buttons in parallel would allow you to use either button to count, but you need to realize that if both buttons are pushed at the same time it will count only once.

Thank you. I will search for your instructions. Is there an easier way to reset power than pulling the plug? Meaning could some sort of on-off switch be wired in? That's perfect that the buttons pushed at the same would only count once - that works fine for my use!

You don't have to pull the plug, just use a normally closed (NC also known as "form B") push button in the power line. You can also use the "normally closed" and "common" terminals on a SPDT switch, (also known as "form C").

I couldn't find your old post but if I can just insert a push button into the power line that sounds the easiest. I also asked the company who is selling this if there was a reset option and they said: As is, there is no reset. However, our understanding is that it is a capacitor that holds the charge

Did you get a schematic of this thing?

Thanks - that looks like exactly what I want to do and I think it's the same core counter I'm looking at. If you could draw a picture of the mods, that would be very helpful!

Here's the marked up photo of the back. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• DSC03250.JPG
    DSC03250.JPG
    683.2 KB · Views: 457
Thanks for the photo - a picture always helps. And just so I am clear -- the red lines you drew are the wires that I would sodder to the locations noted? And the places you show to cut - how do I cut those lines on the board? And would I buy the resistor/capacitor at a store like Radio Shack? Sorry for all my questions - first time working with something like this and just want to make sure I do it right.

Yes, the red lines are wires. I usually do the cuts with an X-ACTO® knife, but a Dremel® with a burr tip works too.

Radio Shack can supply the parts, or the supplier that you're going to buy the kit from might have them. The values aren't critical. 1K to 100K for the resistor, 0.01uF (10nF) to 0.1uF (100nF) is ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back