Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v on/off timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

galkaen

Hi guys I need to build a timer to drive an automotive water pump on for 5 scond and off for 20 minutes. How can i do this?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi guys I need to build a timer to drive an automotive water pump on for 5 scond and off for 20 minutes. How can i do this?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I am sure other people on here will shoot me down in flames but a 555 timer chip is suitable for this. You can set the ON and OFF periods using different resistors and capacitor values. The link below should point you in the right direction.

(Your output would be a relay that would switch on or off your pump circuit)

555 Timer Astable Mode

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I think you can use a 556, dual timer IC, and configure each timer as a one-shot, each feeding the other's trigger input. Program one for the 20min off time, and the other for the 5 second on-time. I've never tried to program a timer for such a long time period, but I think it can be done, just be sure to use low-leakage capacitor types, such as tantalum.

Sorry, I don't have time to draw a schematic, but here is a good primer/turtoral.

The problem with the 555 is getting 20 minute delay without some additional counter ICs.

Theoritically, it shoulnd't be that hard. One tantalum I looks at leaks .1ua at room temp. If you pair a 100ufd version of this cap with a 12 MΩ resistor, that gives you the 20 minute delay with only 12*.1 = 1.2 volts drop across the resistor in steady-state. Remember, you only have to get to 2/3vcc to terminate the pulse.

But like I said, I never tried it with real parts. Maybe if I have time one evening...

Last edited:
What about the imput current for the 555?

You need to use the CMOS version 7555.

Also connecting a resistor from pin 5 to +V will also increase the delay because the capacitor has to charge up to a higher voltage before the cycle terminates.

current for the TTL version is .1uA.

**broken link removed**Input

Add that to the leakage and you get 12M*.2UA = 2.4V. For a 15V operatoin, you have 12.6 volts at the threshold. You'll have to adjust the series resistor to account for this lowered voltage, but there is still pleanty of headroom.

Again, just from a thoeritical standpoint.

BTW, National sets the max value of the resistor at 20 MΩ, so I think we are in good shape.

555 on off timer

Thank you for your time guys. I'm still figuring this out. but now I'm a lot closer to get it to work. Do you know any simulation software besides electronics workbench. EWB is killing me!

Again thank you for your time!

Galkaen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back