Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V 1A to 5V 2A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slarty

Hi,

I have a security system that has an output of 12V at 1Amp when the alamr is active,
I was hoping to power an ip camera from this, the power adapter on the cam has an output of 5Volts at 2Amp,

Is there a simple way I can convert 12v1A to 5V2A?

would I need to employ a relay to switch on a seprate supply or is there an IC that could do this?

Sorry I've not done anything like this since collage so I don't know what's available!

Cheers

PS: You should measure the current requirment of the camera before ordering a ps. It is not likely that that the camera will need 2 Amps! E

Hi,

I have a security system that has an output of 12V at 1Amp when the alamr is active,
I was hoping to power an ip camera from this, the power adapter on the cam has an output of 5Volts at 2Amp,

Is there a simple way I can convert 12v1A to 5V2A?

would I need to employ a relay to switch on a seprate supply or is there an IC that could do this?

Sorry I've not done anything like this since collage so I don't know what's available!

Cheers
I think a buck converter like the LM2576 will come pretty close to this, assuming large enough caps to support the switching currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back