Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 VAC 100 watt Lamp Flasher Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I'm looking to make a 100 watt light bulb flash at about 2 Hz. I did some looking around, only found a couple but they were for 220 mains. I'm almost exlusively a low voltage guy (hate electric shock...). Kind of hoping for an AC solution, rather than a low voltage circuit switching the mains.

I was thinking about how a strobe light circuit works, charge a capacitor until a neon lamp conducts, triggering an SCR. Seems simple, until trying to figure out part values, which SCR/Triac, ect... Maybe there is a simpler solution, so figured it could hurt to ask.

a transformerless power suply, a 555(or PIC10Fxxx) and a triac should do the job.

Common transformerless PSu are capacitive dropper.

It's for an outdoor application, and thinking its 110 AC in 110 AC out, a low voltage control wouldn't be the best solution. A simple transistor oscilator would suffice, no need for chips on this one.

I don't mean to offend, but household AC power and lamps have been around over a hundred years now, transistors are about 40 years old... There must be something much simpler than a PIC to flash a 100 watt lamp on and off.

Here's the simplest circuit I've found, but it's 220 VAC. I need 110, and not sure if this would handle a 100 watt bulb. I really hate messing with stuff that can shock me, but sometimes you got to take a few risks.

I'll mess with the values, and see if can get this to work off 110, without burning up too mant components.

Attachments

• 220flash.jpg
    220flash.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,281
Reduce R1 to 51K, beef up the diodes (1N5408) and the SCR to a higher current rating (3A+). Make sure the gate sensitivity of the SCR is the same or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back