Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10A current limiter circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your question is missing important specs. that may force you to start over.

- Vin range, Vout range, I out range, Load type (resistive motor etc.)
So far all I see is a datasheet design fror 600 W 60V Buck.

The layout and parts must be exactly as the datasheet specifies without deviation if you are a beginner. It is probably cheaper to buy such a supply and it will have digital controls and meet safety standards.

It is assumed you have SMD, EMI, and RF successful design experience to do this.

Your question is missing important specs. that may force you to start over.

- Vin range, Vout range, I out range, Load type (resistive motor etc.)
So far all I see is a datasheet design fror 600 W 60V Buck.

The layout and parts must be exactly as the datasheet specifies without deviation if you are a beginner. It is probably cheaper to buy such a supply and it will have digital controls and meet safety standards.

It is assumed you have SMD, EMI, and RF successful design experience to do this.
I'm currently putting the big PSU project on hold since i realised i never did something like this before and i may want to do something smaller (and easier) first. The project i'm currently working on to (hopefully) get some experience with this is a 35V 10A PSU (which you can find information for in my fourth message in this thread). Since it's a lab PSU, i'm going to be connecting all kinds of loads to it. Some resistive, others inductive and or capacitive. The Vin range of the small supply's main regulator will be around 42VDC from a 30VAC 300VA toroidal transformer. The Vout range is anywhere between 0.8V and 35V. Iout range is anywhere between 0A and 10A.

Switching regulators tend to store a lot more energy than you typically use which makes switching current limiting with dynamic switching loads problematic. This takes a lot of control system & RF experience to anticipate demand from current sensing and partial derivative feedback on voltage. Lab supplies tend to be very precisely controlled and robust if made by brand names like HP and Llambda. You are far better off buying a couple racks off Ebay with remote control Ohms per Volt on old HP PSU's. Then analyze it until you understand how they work.

Keep in mind when you use linear current limiters the power loss due to the difference voltage and load current . One old trick was to use a pre-regulator into a precision linear regulator that drops only enough voltage you need to regulate < 2V. 3 Terminal regulators can be modified into current limiters when you use the Vref as the current sense.

Or you take a gamble and ensure your motor loads are back EMF protected and buy a couple inexpensive 600W supplies

1679524771936.png
1679524897965.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back