Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5v Eneloop Rechargeable battery problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

How can 2 batteries in series have 1 battery go dead over night while the other battery still have a full charge?

There are 8 batteries in this security camera. 4 rows of batteries, each row has 2 batteries in series.

It takes the new charge about 3 hours to charge 4 batteries to full charge. The old charger takes about 7 hours to do a full charge. I charge 4 batteries in each charger then put camera outside. Make sure camera switch in ON and it is working. Next morning no pictures on camera. 1 battery is DEAD the other 7 batteries still have a full charge.

HOW can 1 battery in series with another battery go dead while the other battery still has a full charge??? This is the 3rd time 1 battery has gone dead while the other 7 batteries have a full charge???

At the moment I have not noticed if the dead battery is in the same location each time.

Last time this happened I made sure dead battery did not go back into this camera after being recharged. A different battery is dead this time?

I bought 32 new batteries last summer they have all worked good until now. In the past batteries have all lasted about 5 months before needing to be recharged.

It appears all 8 batteries are in series.

UPDATE. Volt meter shows 5 of the recharged 8 batteries are still dead but battery charger claims batteries have full charge. Batteries were all charged with the same EBL faster charger. New charger must be trash. I will recharge all 32 batteries in the old slow charger that will take a week. Later today I will know if the 4 dead batteries charged in the old slow charger.

Disregard this post I should have used volt meter to test batteries before making this thread.

Maybe I should build a slow 8 hour 24 battery charger but I don't see anyone that sells single battery holders? I don't have a 1 volt AC transformer either. Bad idea.

100_0090.JPG

100_0091.JPG

Last edited:
The chargers probably don't charge the batteries to the same level. When batteries of different charge levels (or capacities) are used in series, one will discharge before the others, and the continued current through it will reverse polarize it.

Charge them all with the same charger and don't run them flat and you should be ok.

The chargers probably don't charge the batteries to the same level. When batteries of different charge levels (or capacities) are used in series, one will discharge before the others, and the continued current through it will reverse polarize it.

Charge them all with the same charger and don't run them flat and you should be ok.

Problem I have now the EBL charger will charge batteries for 1 hour then show they are fully charged but VOM shows some of the batteries are still dead.

The old charger has a red light that comes on when I put batteries in it. I though red light turns green after 8 hours of charging but yesterday 12 hours of charging light is still red. I charged 8 batteries then tested them. 4 show 1.4v and 4 show 1.3v. It was dark security cam needed to be outside. Today is rain. Maybe tomorrow I charge and test more batteries. This is slow when it takes 12 hrs to charge 4 batteries. I tested EBL charger this morning with 4 spare batteries after 1 hr it shows full charge but VOM show batteries are not charged. Remove batteries from EBL charger then put them in EBL charger again is show batteries need to be charged.

If the batteries have been reverse-polarized in a dead string of batteries, throw them away. They have been ruined. If you try to use them with good batteries, you will destroy more cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back