Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.5Watt LED Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

yngndrw

Hi,

Most high power LEDs are run off constant current drivers, but is this really needed ?

Can a 0.5Watt LED be run using a normal safety resistor as long as the resistor is rated high enough and the LED has a heatsink ?

Are the only reasons these LEDs are run off constant current drivers because of varying input voltages and for efficiency ?

Thanks.

LEDs are rated for current. Their forward voltage is a wide range of voltages so you must measure the forward voltage to calculate a current-limiting resistor for it.

Well the LED spec says:
Forward Voltage : 3.0v-4.0v
Forward Current : 150mA

Should I assume the lower or upper end of the forward voltage scale ?

How can you assume a voltage? Assume the lowest voltage then most LEDs will be too dim but none will burn out.

You either measure the forward voltage and calculate a current-limiting resistor for an LED or you make a constant current source for it.

yngndrw said:
Well the LED spec says:
Forward Voltage : 3.0v-4.0v
Forward Current : 150mA

Should I assume the lower or upper end of the forward voltage scale ?

Assuming the lower forward voltage will result in a conservative (higher) estimate for the resistor. However, if your supply voltage is not close to 3V (like >6 V), using either value is not going to make much of a difference.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to actually measure it.

Okay then I'll measure it, is a constant current source required to measure the forward voltage drop or can I just use a safety resistor which is in a reasonable range ? It's a little embarrassing to have to ask such questions about an LED, but I never really looked into them that much. :eek:

Thank you for your help.

Use a proper current source rather than a simple series resistor, then you won't have to worry about the forward voltage providing your regulator can provide the voltage at the lowest supply voltage.

True, I was thinking of just testing how bright it was untill I can get a proper regulator setup, but you're right I may aswell just get a regulator sorted out now - It would be a different brightness anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back