Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Word clock circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigDudley

Hi all,

I am currently attempting to build a word clock for my girlfriend for Christmas, following these tutorials:

https://www.highonsolder.com/blog/2011/1/8/arduino-word-clock.html
https://www.instructables.com/id/Sleek-word-clock/

I am building it using an Arduino instead of the micro controller that they have used in these tutorials just for ease really.

I've followed the following circuit schematic:
https://www.highonsolder.com/display....JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294531692634

But have replaced the ATMega for my arduino.

I am now at the stage of prototyping my circuit with a breadboard and it is at this pint that I have run into troubles. I think I have followed the schematic correctly, however when I power it using my arduino there doesn't seem to be enough power to light up any of the LED's. At this stage I am only connecting one group of LED's at a time so there should be no reason that they wouldn't power with 5V going through the circuit (I think).

All the components seem to be OK and the arduino powers fine when powered out of the circuit. Maybe its worth mentioning that when I first connect the arduino to the circuit the power lights are bright but after 30 seconds or so they are only dully lit.

Sorry if this is a really basic thing that I have missed out here, my electronics knowledge is just about nil and this is my first experience in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an image of the circuit that I currently have, if it helps?
WordClockCircuit.JPG

Thanks
Craig

Do you have a current limiting resistor in series with each LED?
Are you powering this from USB or what power supply are you using?

can't see any leds on your ouputs??

Sounds like your power supply isn't man enough for the job, alternatively you may have a short circuit on the board. Do you have a bench power supply

Yes for each LED there is a resistor with a value of 1K ohms.

I am just powering it through a USB. The thing is that all the tutorials say that the 5V from the Arduino should be enough.

In the picture above I have not connected any of the LED groups because the Arduino is powering down before I have made any of the connections to the LED's. This made me think that maybe there was something wrong with the circuit, but this is all new to me so I'm not really sure!

If the problem was a short circuit, how do I identify it?

First double check the wiring. Then take a multimeter and measure that 5V VCC is present at each 4094 supply pin, and check the voltage when the leds fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back