Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring 220V sub to garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wounded

I have wired 220 volts to my garage sub panel and all my 220 volt equipment does not work. Some where I missed some thing. I will list the details and steps of what I have done.

1. Installed a 60 amp 220V double breaker in my main house panel. It is installed next to the main 100 Amp breaker.
2. Number 6 tech from the house to the sub panel in the garage.
3. I installed 4 110 Volt breakers on the right side of the sub panel.
4. I installed 3 220 Volt breakers on the left side of the sub panel.

The 220V circuits read with a meter 110v on each hot wire. I am think for some reason that the 220 is on phase or just like having 2 110V

Please help me :roll:

Jeff

First lets tack the 220 volts..Make sure you have 220 leaving the house (could be a bad 60a breaker). Measure from phase to phase at the 60a breaker. Then measure phase to phase at your sub panel. If all ok measure phase to phase on the load side of you 220 breakers in your sub panel ..From your description you've done the job correctly, either you have a bad 2 pole breaker or you're on the same phase somewhere.

"If all ok measure phase to phase on the load side of you 220 breakers in your sub panel"

Measure with a volt meter? 110V on both sides? :?:

if you're getting 110v on each it sounds like you're measuring phase to ground/neutral.. You need to put your voltmeter on the two screws on the breaker , one lead on each screw..You should have two #6 wires (one on each screw of the 60a breaker) and one #6 white on the neutral and one green/bare ground wire, this constitutes the proper wiring for a sub panel. One the garage end you should have the two wires from the 60a braker going to the main terminal that feed the busses(bars you clip the breakers on and one whit going to the neutral and one green/bare for ground. When I say measure phase to phase I mean one lead on each wire from the 60a breaker or ,either of the sub breakers, measuring from phase to ground/neutral will not let you verify 220 volts(opposing phases).Hope this helps

I Measured off the 60Amp breaker which leads to the sub panel and I get 220V ......So I now know that it is in the sub panel some where.. Do you think the sub panel will not run 220Volts .... Weird if so,,, what are your thats?

If you have two main lugs to terminate the wires to you should be able to use 220. you didn't say wether or not you had the 220 actually getting to the garage(broken wire??) the busses should have 220 on adjoining bars for your breaker to clip onto..I've never seen a sub panel with two main lugs that wouldn't provide 220, that's the reason for two lugs..

You didn't fill in your location..If it's European wiring I'm afraid I don't know much about it..

I Measured at the sub panel the 2 main nuts I get 220 Volts there ..... But not in the rest of the panel.... I am going out to the sub panel after I switch on power and have a closer look at the panel...... THere is a screw in side the sub panel,,,, it holds plastic cover over the bridge area. I may have to set it for 220V... But I know for sure there is 220V at the top of the sub panel. I am get closer :wink:

Well looks like I got ripped off. :cry: The sub panel has 4 spots for the breaker to clip in to.

#1 - Red ½ 220v
#2 – Black ½ 220v
#3 – Red ½ 220v
#4 – Black ½ 220v

only 110v sub panel,,,Hummmmmmmmm :shock:

and I thought just put the breaker half on #1 and #1 to make 220v but there are plastic tabs stopping me from doing that and the panel cover would not line put with the breakers if that was possible. :(

Well I had a closer look the sub panel brakers will fit over the tabs...I have all my 220 V eqiup working now :)

Thanks for your help 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back