Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Wiring a Leeson Motor

J Brenyo

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can instruct me on how to connect the wiring to bench test a Leeson 120v reversible electric motor. I've included a picture of the wiring diagram from the side of the motor showing how the five colored wires are currently connected. Here's the sum of my knowledge:
  1. ground is blue, so I should connect the green wire from the 120v input to it
  2. I am assuming that I connect the black wire (hot) from the input to the black wire coming out of the motor
  3. I am not sure if I should connect the white (neutral) wire from the input source to the orange wire or to the yellow wire. The diagram seems to suggest the yellow.... HELP!
I have no idea what to do with the yellow and red wires. HELP!! Thanks for any and all input.
Wiring.jpg

Thanks for your replies. There is a starting capacitor which checks out good. I get that switching 5 and 8 reverses the motor direction, but where do they connect to in the first place? Keep in mind that I am not looking to bench test this with a reversing switch....I just have 3 wires coming in: ground, hot and neutral. How do I connect the 5 wires on one side to the 3 wires on the other side to get the motor to run, regardless of direction?

As I see it, You should end up with the four Black-orange as one pair (Run winding) and white-red as the start winding.
The latter should have the cap in series.
therefore each pair would be in parallel and connected to the L & N.
1701035678879.png

Thanks for your reply, however, I flunked out of electrical engineering school a long time ago (for good reasons...). So I'm not familiar with the terminology and the schematics. For us simpletons, can you just tell me 1) what wires do I connect the neutral and hot wires from the source to and 2) what do I connect the two remaining wires from the motor to? That would be VERY helpful!

I am guessing that is a 120v240v motor with the connections shown for 120v?
If you have a meter, confirm what the RH & LH pair resistance reads between each conductor

You are correct, it is a 120/240V motor and the wiriing diagram shown is for 120V. Unfortunately I cannot test the resistance as the motor is at my sons house 90 miles away.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back