Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who's afraid of the PIC32MX695F512H ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a interrupt and peripheral guy :) Can you imagine the overhead with Ethernet or USB?

Peripherals have low CPU overhead and slower CPUs usually consume less power. I'm also trying to be a green as possible.

Oh yea, one more port a USB OTG (Host) post. I'm not certain how useful it'll be on this kit but adding a $1 connector won't drive up the price by much.

I'm glade to see you back in the kit building looks great

Last edited:
If this is successful the next will be a XBee / RS485 thermostat. I plan on replacing my Honeywell 8500HD with it. I have an old Aprilaire 8870 collecting dust that would work (the 8870 needs a controller).

Cool Bill!
Im wanting to learn Linux for designing a nice Home Automation system. I think it would rock! Would be nice to control anything from anywhere... Of course i plan to use some encryption (i got to learn it first) but still

I like ARM mainly because i can use the same programmer/debugger and just buy a ARM IC that runs at 400MHZ and have a nice system heh

With PICs you need newer programmer or ICD3... its like you have to upgrade your programmer with the PIC heh

I'm not aware of a Linux for the 32MX. It does have JTAG though and I would expect some form of bootloader.

Do they have a TQFP ARM with everything needed to run Linux on a single IC?

Last edited:
That requires you to have a fast internet connection if you plan to stream large videos or files. Most people have decent download speed and crap UPLOAD which is what you need ... Also im not sure but some internet providers have a bandwidth limit and if you go over it they charge you.

I do this now but i just host my own Apache Server. Nice and simple. With PHP and MySQL.

Its nice since you dont have to have a PC on. But im sure i could make this with a PIC or ARM. But Most likely a max of 3 USB devices if using a ARM

Last edited:
Someone asked a question somewhere near the beginning of the discussion about the differences between the PIC32 and it's smaller cousins. Some people seem to dislike the fact that the peripherals are more complex... I feel that is GREAT! You can select multiple ADC channels, tell it to read, and then the ADC reads all the channels you had selected and buffers them all. You don't have to wait for it to finish reading, then switch to the next one, then wait, then switch.... Granted, this isn't limited to the PIC32, but this is an example of the features that I like that it seems most everyone else here dislikes.

The only thing that I've found that I don't like about the PIC32 is that it can't do bit-sets and bit-clears in one atomic instruction without using the REGSET and REGCLR registers. For example, on older PICs, LATBbits.LATB1 = 1 would set that bit and you don't have to worry about the other bits. On the PIC32, a read-modify-write occurs so you could potentially READ LATB, get interrupted and the interrupt may change LATB0 from 1 to 0, exit the interrupt, MODIFY bit 1 to 1, and WRITE it back to LATB. However, the READ that happened before the interrupt read LATB0 as 1 even though the interrupt changed it to 0, so when the WRITE occurred it changed back to a 1. You just have to be careful that any ports you write to are not written to by interrupts as well or you have to take care to use the REGSET/CLR registers. I like to define pins as #define health_led_pin LATBbits.LATB1 so all I have to do is say health_led_pin = 1 or = 0. This doesn't work so well with REGSET and REGCLR.

Otherwise, I think the PIC32 is awesome and I've done several projects with them.

About two years ago I attended a MCHP class in Dallas where they instructed us on the basics of their graphic library. In that class, the instructor said that MCHP was making a PIC32 with a built in LCD controller. I haven't heard of it since, but I think it'd be awesome. I've also received word from MCHP that they're working on increasing the speed of the PIC32, but it'll be at the cost of decreased RAM and FLASH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back