Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who's afraid of the PIC32MX695F512H ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Blueroom on this.

Peripherals aren't actually costing much, maybe nothing at all, if not used. Lots of MIPS and lots of RAM doesn't let you
run 6 serial busses in software with any ease.

I had an 18F running two serial ports, and only one USART was fitted. I had about 1/4 the time of one bit of data for any operation to finish. With a 24F with two USARTS, with a 4 byte buffer on each, and I had the time of 40 bits of data before I lost any data.

Gee, sounds like some should go back to microprocessors; all the RAM and ROM you want.

Myself, I love microcontrollers because they simplify things; I don't like working on, or trouble shooting complex microprocessor circuits - all those friggin address lines, lack of drive current.... and on.

It takes serious time to write an OTG USB or Ethernet stack; twelve bux is pretty cheap.

Last edited:
I'm with Blueroom on this.

Peripherals aren't actually costing much, maybe nothing at all, if not used. Lots of MIPS and lots of RAM doesn't let you
run 6 serial busses in software with any ease.

I had an 18F running two serial ports, and only one USART was fitted. I had about 1/4 the time of one bit of data for any operation to finish. With a 24F with two USARTS, with a 4 byte buffer on each, and I had the time of 40 bits of data before I lost any data.

I can't see where a pic32 cost to much this is 49.00 and you don't need a programmer Part Number : DM320001 - PIC32 STARTER KIT

the pic32 start at $4.31 and go up to less then $9.00 and your getting like 10 chips in 1

thats really cool tho! The nice thing about microchip is they have tons of prepared and code ready to use. I might play with some PIC32s and see what im missing! heh

Haha, that really is neat! I just followed up on this thread, which I'm glad that I did, and this is very, very cool!

Well I'm no longer afraid of the 32MX695, but when you use all six of its UARTs you lose all the SPI & I2C pins...
Now I'm not afraid of 64pin TQFPs but I'm hesitant to use the 100pin variation. I would like to offer it as an advanced kit.
The book "Exploring the PIC32" makes the MIPs core seem much like the old 8bit PICs.

Yep, it's in the works. I figured a 64pin TQFP wasn't too tough and I could always contract Schmartboard to do the PCBs if necessary.
It's going to be an HA / HVAC controller and I'd like it to be open source.
Ethernet, ZigBee (XBee S2), 2 to 4 serial ports (RS232,422 or 485), 1 IR in and 2 IR out, 3 relays, 4 GPIO.

It will be one smart HA / HVAC controller sure like to see it when your done

Blueroom-
Well I'm no longer afraid of the 32MX695, but when you use all six of its UARTs you lose all the SPI & I2C pins...

I did remember saying something like;

For Microchip to "catch the boat" again I think they need to forget about adding 200 complex peripherals, and instead make something with much less to set up, and fast (800 MIPS?) and craploads of RAM and ROM. With that much power you can do the peripherals in code, which is so much more versatile and powerful.

Hardware peripherals are so last century. Microchip have missed the boat with the PIC32.

I'm a interrupt and peripheral guy :) Can you imagine the overhead with Ethernet or USB?

Peripherals have low CPU overhead and slower CPUs usually consume less power. I'm also trying to be a green as possible.

Oh yea, one more port a USB OTG (Host) post. I'm not certain how useful it'll be on this kit but adding a $1 connector won't drive up the price by much.

The OTG USB could be used for a serial port extender, flash drive etc. The trick would be getting the drivers. I was going to leave it out altogether.
There are six hardware UARTs in the 32MX, they all have a neat feature where the handshaking lines can also be programmed as another set of serial ports in the RS232 mode. Other features are +5V on pin 9 and TTL level I/O on DTR/DSR. Not sure what if anything to do with CD. The XBee needs a couple more I/O to do firmware updates in circuit, I'll make sure they're included.

Two DCE DE9 male connectors using two MAX3160E

UART1, 4
51 U1TX
50 U1RX
49 U1RTS U4TX
43 U1CTS U4RX

UART2, 5

31 U2RX
32 U2TX
29 U2RTS U5TX
21 U2CTS U5RX

UART3 XBee