Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where's my edit button at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but does the 15 minute edit window begin the second you start a new thread? I sense that maybe it does, which is unfortunate, because some of my posts can be quite wordy. I try to be careful, but the more words, the greater chance of making a typo.

The kinds of typo are usually things that would otherwise confuse or misdirect the intent of the post, such as dropping a negative qualifier (e.g. "I did do this" instead of "I didn't do this") or using plural instead of singular nouns or vice versa.

I can understand there being some limits on the edit function, for instance, in the interest of maintaining the integrity of the forum. The value in the forum is the people who help - it's not fair for their hard work to be effectively nullified because an OP decides to remove or distort their original inquiry and consequent discussion. I think the basic idea of the forum is to build a body of knowledge where successive people can learn from a constantly growing, mutable, and collective understanding. That can't happen if there's excessive retro-censorship. The cost of asking a question here is submitting yourself to a public display of your learning process. Given the aforementioned philanthropic nature of the supposed purpose of this forum, you should be proud to be stupid, as long as you're asking questions here, and learning from the experience.

On the otherhand, I think there's virtue in putting the onus of clarity on the OP (or even responders). I can only remember seeing one instance of a member, who I don't think is even on this forum anymore, who chose to interfere with the intent of the forum by deleting the content of his posts. I'm not convinced that that in itself is enough reason to limit the editing window to 15 minutes.

Perhaps something on the order of 24 hours might work better? That would allow enough time for someone to respond to the OP, realize or have pointed out to them where their typo was, correct the typo, and avoid situations where the OP or responder might have to duplicate an entire post or get into editorial discussions (which might distract from discussing electronics).

The idea is that, at a glance, the forum should be an easy-to-read electronics forum, as oppose to a reflection of electronics enthusiasts constantly tripping over typos. I don't want to view the process of people working to correct trivial typos every time I click on a thread I thought I'd be interested in. I'd rather just presume that they'd take the responsibility for that process themselves, and not be distracted from reading the real electonics details of their posts.

Last edited:
I think 15 minutes editing time is enough.

Normally I read the post after submitting it and correct typo's immidiately.

Some other forums I'm participating in only allowe 3 minutes.

As other members already mention is that the original poster can modify posts so comments don't make any sense anymore.

If you make a mistake in a post so what, post a reply on it and correct the latter.

It should be mandatory to fill in the reason why the post was editted, so a track record is kept on file.

My $0.02 worth

Raymond

anymore.

If you make a mistake in a post so what, post a reply on it and correct the latter.

Because you have the lazy people who just read one of the wrong versions, believe it, then move on because they don't bother reading the entire thread. So that.

Also, if that were the case I would end up with 3 large consecutive posts that look *almost* identical, except the wording in some of them is potentially ambiguous and open to multiple interpretations in the most subtle, but important, of ways. Then you have confusion about which paragraph is which, or some people might think they are identical posts, or some people might get a certain wrong idea and then you have to backtrack explaining to them that it is not so. It's much easier to tell the right thing the first time around then to try and undo a learning of the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Good luck updating bad links after the 15 minutes. Do we at least get to edit attachments?

Last edited:
Well, after living with it for a while, I have to eat my words and say that I do prefer the way it worked before. The new way is livable but there really wasn't that much pollution before the change. I support bringing back the old way.

Torben

Well, after living with it for a while, I have to eat my words and say that I do prefer the way it worked before. The new way is livable but there really wasn't that much pollution before the change. I support bringing back the old way.

Torben

I believe there is now a lot more pollution than there ever was before. I have today reluctantly posted a thread that is almost identical to a previous thread due to the lack of edit facilities.

Also, the fact that a complete copy of any edit is kept and can be viewed by anyone makes it completely unnecessary.

Mike.
Edit, click on the link below to see what I mean.

Last edited:
I believe there is now a lot more pollution than there ever was before. I have today reluctantly posted a thread that is almost identical to a previous thread due to the lack of edit facilities.

Also, the fact that a complete copy of any edit is kept and can be viewed by anyone makes it completely unnecessary.

Mike.

Yep, I saw that thread. I think maybe I still fall into the trap of sticking to the Usenet mindset, where editing is prohibited altogether--so even 15 minutes of edit time seems a lot. In a forum like this one, though, time-unlimited editable posts just work better, especially for the more experienced posters. The polluted threads before mostly weren't anything terribly important or worth archiving for posterity anyway.

Torben

It appears that the ability to view edits is also on a timer, how bizarre.

Mike.
Edit, I'd stopped putting the reason for edits as I thought the ability to view edits was permanent.

Last edited:
I thought that you had to either be a modertor or the poster to view edits.

If this is true, I dissigree with it, I think anyone should be able to view the old versions of posts.

It appears that the ability to view edits is also on a timer, how bizarre.

Mike.
Edit, I'd stopped putting the reason for edits as I thought the ability to view edits was permanent.

Hi Pommie I agree completly with you

I am not oposing a time limit but 15 minutes is a little on the short side in my opinion 1 hour is more apropriat

the internet conection here at my place is not that good so several times it drops out and you don't have the chance to correct your mail

but put a limit on the time for editing also is just crazy:eek:

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back