Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

At long last!.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Well it's taken a very long time, but today at least I've now got fibre to the property, from Virgin Media :D

Unfortunately the router supplied is a bit 'crippled', and you can't set it to 'modem only mode', nor can you change the default IP address - which unfortunately is different to my existing router, so I'm having to alter various devices which were using fixed IP addresses (such as my VOIP phone adaptor).

I've ordered the M350 service, 350mbps down, and 35mbps up - which I slightly exceed on my phone in the room (downstairs) where the router is.

Fortunately, Virgin has been on our street for years. Just switched to a new company called GRAIN now I have similar issues.

Google assistant went south and a number of sites are hard to access. Even though we are on a 1g up and down. Watching a steaming service is touch and go... The sky box cannot get netflix, but the TV does Huh? Go figure.. Prime video and disney work great... I wish I knew networking, there is definately a change in some protocol or other.. It all worked seamlessly on Virgin but they went far too expensive.

The sky box cannot get netflix, but the TV does Huh? Go figure..
Possibly a DNS problem, they have been cropping up regularly with many providers for a few years now.
It seemed to start about the time DNS encryption was being introduced...

Have a look at the network settings on a non-working device & see of you can see DNS? There should? be an option to set it manually; if so, put in 8.8.8.8 which is Google's public DNS. That seems far more reliable for most things.

If there is no way to change it, you would have to make changes on the router & I have no idea what equipment is likely to be in use.

I use Rogers who upgraded last summer with a 1Gbps repeater to the neighbourhood, which I hadn't tested till now. It's still on coax.

1705366778181.png

then to NYC
1705367099611.png

then some random city that looks like in Russia
1705367270801.png

a slow town in De

1705367420248.png

foinelee , woy dune unda

1705367610322.png

I get minor problems with my wife complaining our old MagicJack VOIP disconnects at random daily and in the past changing my modem and changing the VOIP to router module never fixed it, both pointing fingers at each other, so it seems this VOIP is more sensitive to uncorrectable errors that only show up on my modem and no other device or App.

These look to me like all excellent SNR signals > 30 dB. All past tests were error free, so I suspected buried power grid switching noise interference from network tap changing.
1705368039979.png

1705368099077.png

80 GB /day with free movies/TV video over IP.

Remember when we thought 56k was fast?

BTW I use as windoze app called Stremio (free) and "RealDebrid.com" for torrent server ~ $60/y for all TV/Movie (HBO/Netflix, etc) then HDMI to big screen TV at our feet with lazyboy comfy chairs.

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin Once you address your modem, with the LAN gateway address , you should able to change it to the former address.

1705368838017.png

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back